It's a hound alright

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

It's a hound alright

Post by Howie »

Anyway, as I am waiting for my welding skills to catch up with my enthusiasm, the Z400 cafe racer project is on hold. And as I am waiting for parts to turn up on ebay & such like, the ke175 project is on hold. And as I wait for my finances to adopt a healthy lifestyle before I head full on in to the kx250 a5 rebuild, I have decided to spend my time building the nsr/kr/mito/hybrid :)

Now then, the plan is to build a road based track bike to outrun Gary's rs125 or any other production based 125cc. To keep it light weight, make it look good but at the same time not to worry too much if I chuck it into a ditch :lol:

So you may or may not remember this

This is the nsr125 as I bought it a while back. At the time all I really intended to do was tart it up & sell it on. But I had one of these years ago (Ns125r 1989???) which caused my nothing but trouble so.........I bought this one because I never learn :lol:

Ok so this is how it looks now

Yeah I know its awful but hopefully you can see what I'm aiming for?

It has a Kr1 swingarm adapted to fit the nsr125. I have used a scrap swingarm (definately not ever to be used on a road going bike!) to get the measurements right & fortunately so as I was well off with the alignment for the front sprocket (5mm :-$ )

The Kr1 swingarm needed to be milled (hacksawed :lol: ) to fit the nsr & the the nsr's linkage set up

I also needed to sort out the original barrel as it was deeply scored by teen abuse :lol:

I was quoted £85 by a local engineer for a steel liner but I found this on ebay

And as I kind of knew a full power nsr125 wouldn't stand a chance against a full power rs125, I decided to cheat & fit a 190cc barrel instead :lol:

I'm just hoping the crank will be able to take the extra cc's ok [-o<

I've got a shed load to do before the next SATT
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

OH YEAH \:D/
track bike to outrun Gary's rs125
Howie pal,i can see this turning serious :lol:
Should we put it on the rs forum"init"or do you reakon these lads will let us play on here?
Gotta say Howie,that looks tidy,well better than mine ATM mate,and its a nsr 125,not a ns125r,and with a 190 barrel :? looks like i am gonna have to up my game :D
Let the games begin :!: SATT 2011 it is then :mrgreen:
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

do you reakon these lads will let us play on here?
I don't see why not Gary, neutral ground & all that :lol:

Not much progress since the first post, just got a load of black plastic to 'back to black' oh joy.

I'm really not convinced about what effect the extra 65cc's are going to have on the bike. I'm using an athena(?) barrel but it does not have the power valve as the original does.

I'm assuming this means my mid range will be a bit fuzzy & I'll have to nail it everywhere to get anywhere?

Now not being an engineer, I have a few questions.

Will the bigger bore change where the power band kicks in?

Do I need to up the cooling system?

Will I need to think about upgrading the braking system?

I'm pretty sure the last two questions will be answered when I've got it on the road.

But any help will be appreciated.
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

They are 2 strokes,and yours has got a kr swinger as well,will have to fit something"kr"to mine :?
Struggle with the yoofs on those type forums,so at least we will be among us own.
Will get some pics of mine up soon \:D/ .
Had it running,and it sounds like a right bag a balls.When i stripped it,i took the top end off and proper big end failure,about 10mm play in the con rod.
Yes"teen abuse city"rules on this one,but it should be up and running for the SATT :)
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

yours has got a kr swinger as well,will have to fit something"kr"to mine
Had to keep it in the family :lol: Its probably going to get a Kr1 master cylinder too, possibly more! Depending on how the cbr600 seat unit turns out. It may have a Kr1 single seat unit rear end?

There were two reasons for using the kr1 swingarm, its lighter than the nsr steel thing & the nsr's steel thing isn't in very good condition :roll: Ooh & when I bought the nsr, it had a 140 rear tyre that had caught on the swingarm, so I thought if I ever wanted to widen the rear tyre, I would need a swingarm to suit, so the decision was made. Mind you its been a lot of fuffing around & I still need to make up some spacers.

Anyway, having run out of 'back to black' my neighbour gave me this

It does the job alright :D

This is the result of a few minutes polishing

All these items were grey, grey/white colour, now look at the buggers! Doesn't do much for the scratches though, oh well :-({|=

Even tried it on the coolant hoses

Left is before, right is after.

Now then, while money is dead tight, I'm concentrating on the bits that cost nowt & so the next thing I have to do is cut a bloody great hole in my air box lid \:D/

Because this is the way to true derestriction, apparently :lol:

I think I may dyno this thing once its done, just to see if it was all worth it.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

How long do you think this will take you to get done?
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

I'm hoping it'll be done & dusted by the end of march [-o<
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Just to get everyone up to speed,mine started as this-
And it is now looking like this-
Plan is just to get it cleaned up and working.Nothing special,just the basics to learn about bike care/restoration,starting with a light polish to the frame.
will add pics as it comes along.
Got my work shop,or rather,dry place to work finished this week,so i hope things can start moving forward :) .
How long do you think this will take you to get done?
All depends on work really-or lack of,hopefully before april.Thats when i am hoping to have it done for :| .
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

To be honest Gary, that looks better naked than mine does fully clothed :oops:

But while I was waiting for the slate to arrive for the extension & with nothing better (else!) to do, I did a bit more on the nsr190( :lol: )

Sorry no pics at the mo but I have decided to go with Kr1 suspension linkages as opposed to the original Nsr's as I wasn't happy about cutting out a lot of metal on the Kr1 swing arm, it just looked as if it would weaken the swing arm linkage. It just means I have to drill the Nsr's mounts, which I didn't want to do because it means NO WAY BACK if I want to return it to stock, Oh well :roll:

Hopefully I will have some more boring pics to post this coming weekend, bet you lot can hardly wait eh? Eh?.....................