The project begins (finally)

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Scott i have got some adjustable dog bones for mine,to lower back to standard height with the R6 shock.I will post a picture,its such a simple idea and there will be a few on here who will be able to sort them out,FLUTE is the #1 guy i would say(still owe you a drink buddy 8) ).
R6 shock has got to be the best upgrade £for£.I gave £36+post for a brand new one :shock: BARGIN.
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Cheers Garye,
I'm actually quite keen to try it with the raised height as I'm hopeing it will make the bike more responsive in change of direction. When I've been riding it, it feels too slow to react for my likeing as I'm used to my old tandem twin which changes direction in an instant, almost like it's reading my mind.
Done a bit of searching for the settings others have used, and think I'll try Scoobles settings, as she had hers set up by a pro. Even though she probably weighs a bit less than me (I weigh 80kg, about 12.5 stone), it should be a good starting point I think. If it feels a bit too twitchy I'll probably try droping the forks through the clamps a bit to raise the front up and see how that goes.
Everythings about ready to go in now (I think [-o< ) so I'll probably fit it all up through the week once the weather cools down as it's been mid 30's last few days and forcast says 40+ tomorrow :( (I think I may melt at work).
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Thank god that little heat wave is over. I never want to have to go through a night where the temp dosn't drop below 30c ever again. I really need to get air con.
Anyway, since it's cooled down I've spent some time in the shed, and got the R6 rear shock in. And what a difference it's made! :shock: I no longer feel like I have to "drag" it down into a corner, and the way it now reacts to a bit of counter-steering is sensational (used to feel quite dull). The loss of some straight line stability is a little annoying, but I think I can get enough back by raising the front a little and maybe fitting a steering damper. :-k
Anyone know of a slighly longer sidestand leg that may fit, cause it really does have a major lean on it when parked now. :lol:
KR1 Red/White
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Maybe some of these could help you achieve a happy medium Scott.
These were made up by one of our American brothers,there for the fzr,but surely someone could make some for the kr?
Off topic a min,have you seen the titanium spacers on my top shock bolt?Tidy :D Mr FLUTE made those :D
Sorry i missed you at caddy mate,saw your bike when i was on my way back from booking in,bit excited,as it was my first time on a"proper track"and this was the scene i was first met with when i got there-
So i was a bit side tracked,no pun intended :mrgreen:
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

adjustable rear shock linkages

Post by KR-1R »

these adjustables were on Yahoo Japan a while back
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Garye, I don't know if I could fit Ti spacers to my bike in a location that couldn't be seen, as hiding something like that must surely be a crime. :wink:

Don't think I'll be bothering with adjustable dog bones after coming back from my short test ride. :mrgreen: Dropping the forks another 6mm through the yokes (only 4mm poking out the top now) has got it just the way I want it, nice & nimble as well as being quite stable in a straight line. \:D/ \:D/
I'll still need to fine tune the settings on the new shock as I get more of a feel for what it needs, and I definately need to sort out some more suitable tyre pressures as the recomended ones don't feel right (28psi front/32psi rear). I can feel the rear tyre slipping going around roundabouts, and after a good ride the rear tyre feels a lot cooler than the front, so maybe take a couple of psi out of the rear tyre. :-k

Not sure what I'm going to do with the forks yet (not quite enough damping) as they need new seals anyway, and I'm debateing either stepping up to 15 grade oil, or doing the mod on MJ's Team Sparrow site (no, I can't afford USD's :( ).
KR1 Red/White