Nurse " It's happening AGAIN"

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Jan I've been back in the shed since my last post. ( what program do you use to draw lines all of mine are free hand & look like a drunk had done them ) anyway I need to draw the bracing I have in mind very similar to yours, but across the subframe close down beside the original cast bracket, so it would be sort of above the crank in my brackets #-o Alan
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

I think this is very close to where I'm heading ( Say you like it [-o< ) green marked area would be end profile of 50x25mm box section running between the two side rails. I would use the 30mm single sided bracket on this side & a 15mm bracket on the left side going up to the 50x25 box, & that would be it............ Alan.

JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

and where will the airbox come ? you are using up all the available space in that area.

I would go for my green solution but don't let that stop you pursuing your own . I know from my own experience, that in the end you want it as much as possible to be your own bike, with your own ideas :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Jan I agree I want as much of my ideas as possible used. But its spot on to get your & others ideas as well, otherwise it would be silly of me to post for advice. + remember I have the advantage of having the bits & bike standing in front of me............ Anyway I don't want the bracket either side arrangement because the left hand side one partially blocks the carb entrance, ( the shock is not in the centre it's over to the left ) so would a brace on your green line, so I have gone up over with the left bracket & shaped it back over to give some bracing as your blue line.... So I can see & agree with your thinking but changed
it to suit my thinking Thanks Alan
I dont think I will be using an air box well not a conventional one anyway

Martinh

Post by Martinh »

Hey there alan,

I bought a single sided swingarm on a whim a while back to bolt onto the back of an imaginary project that has yet to matarialise!

From what i can gather the h***a swingarms use a linkage that has a lot of leverage* so the excessively heavy springs you noticed (800lbs+) should actually produce normal handling. Because of this, over engineering your mounting solution on the side of caution and as jan said to be careful of the subframe would be a good idea.

Whats the stroke length like on the standard shock btw?

I'm sure you've already thought about this stuff as from what i've seen you do in the past you know what you're doing. :D

cheers and good luck
Martin

*I wanted to say leverage ratio but i'm not sure its the right term to use.
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Hiya Martinh, yes to all those worries plus some of my own,
btw
the sub-frame was designed by Charles Isambard Kingdom brunnel :lol:

JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

alanw wrote:............ Anyway I don't want the bracket either side arrangement because the left hand side one partially blocks the carb entrance, ( the shock is not in the centre it's over to the left ) so would a brace on your green line,
I must admit : I'm far to lazy to check on my KR1S , if what I'm sujesting is actually possible :oops: :mrgreen:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Something you might want to consider is it is NEVER a good idea to weld thick items to thin items.You will end up putting a lot of heat into the thick part and overheating the thin part. A good work-around is to weld your supports to a cut piece of tube a similar thickness to the cross brace.Then weld that assembly to the cross brace. A good investment if your contemplating work on frames are THESE BOOKS worth thier weight in gold.
crochet & croquet
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Twostroke - institute. Hello, there is'nt an issue here with the welding simply pre heat the ally with mapp gas & tig weld.

scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I am sure you have thought of this before, but how about using a long spindle through the top shock mount and securing the ends of the spindle to a bracket that is welded to the main frame attached to a similar position where you have cut away the bottom sub frame rail.

(please don't all shout at me at once!) :oops:
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Hiya scooble yes Red devil went that route and it has advantages but my plan for the finished look of the bike will put all of the bracketry! on show
so I want it to look . ( Oh no I'm going to use an expression I H*te )"Trick"
Thats it Iv'e said it now & I feel like an arse. Best out though :lol: Alan

wakasaki
Heavy Smoker

Post by wakasaki »

Hi Al,

How's the Latest coming on?? :D