Graham file tuning

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
corky
Oil Injector

Graham file tuning

Post by corky »

just got my quote back from Graham file ref my race engine and i hope santa brings me some GF gift vouchers !!!
will have to do a little shopping around first, i still fancy a 300cc conversion !!

will be sending my bits off after the new year and hopefully have the engine rebuilt for march :D

Hi Mark,
Work to KR-1S, estimate,
1, Crankcases, are flowed and matched to cylinders, £120-00
I can also tune the inlet stubs/manifolds, £40

2, Cylinders are tuned, exhaust ports, aux ex. ports, transfers, scavenge entries all tuned.
Match power valves. £140 per cyl.

If the cylinder plating is in good condition it shouldn't need replating,
I'll look at them and call you.

3, Machine head to 26J piston squish angle, and volume to spec, £100-00

4, Rebuild crank, parts, 4 bearings £80-00
4 seals £60-00
2,rod kits inc. race b/ends,&
small end bearings £120-00
rebuild crank labour, minimum charge £60-00 -
strip & build 1 crank from 2 maximumcharge £100-00

Mark, as quoted on the phone the other day, these are the prices you requested, if there's anything else you need to know please call or mail, all tuning is for unleaded pump fuel unless you are running avgas etc. as I said, once tuned I'll help you out with any setup spec you require,

Hope this helps, cheers, Graham.
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

those prices look VERY interesting the making 1 crank from 2 looks a good deal.

hmmmmmm tuning [-o<
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Corky , have you had a price from Sam at BDK ?
He has no problem with being helpfull with someone down under (not always the case with OS suppliers :evil: ) and his price for crank seals was quite a bit cheaper .
Anyone prepared to post on here is worth a getting a price from too .
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

will give him a try, will have a look on the net for his details?
cheers mate
kr1s project wanted
03 r6 race/trackbike
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

spoke to graham again, as i am still awaiting a lhs kr1s barrel !! asked him a few Q,s ....

1) i havnt decided whether to run on avgas or unleaded what do you think pros/cons?

2) also i will be running 35mm carbs and a pressurised airbox, so any advice on initial jetting would be helpfull.

3) in regards to your tuning, i have heard that you tune more for midrange than topend is this true?
and also what type of gains am i looking at?

(i was debating the s/stephens 300cc conversion but have been warned away for track/race use as there is not much meat left on the cylinders afterwards !!)

his reply....

Hi Mark, thanks for message,

Basically my tuning ethic is make the bike faster, the main performance gain is through torque, more torque= more power, everywhere.
I get good gains through the rev range and this is reflected in the drive of the bike, the days of nothing then BANG and off it goes, are left securely in the past!
I always remember the first dyno graph of an engine I did and it was basically a 45degree line, power all the way, no flatspots.
We'll have to have a proper chat regarding the airbox mods you're doing, just a few things to watch out for.
Avgas gives you a wider margin for jetting correctly to the conditions, because of the lead and the burn speed, unleaded has come a long long way since it was first made, and super unleaded is ok, but I must know because head spec will be slightly different.
If you can get avgas easily I would go for 50/50 with super unleaded.

I've never gone down the big bore route, and never would, too many cons and not enough pros!!! Sounds good on the spec sheet though!!,

definitely going to use his services just need a barrel !!!! [-o< [-o<
kr1s project wanted
03 r6 race/trackbike
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

In my books Graham is sound and though I now do my own work I keep in touch and bounce ideas off him.

Deffo the man for tuning a KR.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

mj43 wrote:In my books Graham is sound and though I now do my own work I keep in touch and bounce ideas off him.

Deffo the man for tuning a KR.
I'd love to see a dyno comparison between a File motor and one of yours. Even just to see what difference there is in the torque curve.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)