linkage bearings

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

linkage bearings

Post by Red Devil 777 »

Just looking at replacing some linkage bearingson the project, had a look on the team sparrow site (Am I being thick or is there no parts bit for the swingarm and linkages on the parts page on here?) and it looks like they are a std needle roller bearing 18x24x16 as these here

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advan ... c&x=21&y=7

Not priced any genuine kwak ones up yet, anyone see any problems or offer some info on this. Used simply bearings several times before, ordered once at 4.45pm and had them in my hand at eight am the following day, can't see that happening at the minute.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

They are just standard bearings but you may need the internal sleeves. Last time I did a swinger the bearings were good it was the sleeves that had worn away to nothing :( plus you'll need new dust seals as well.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I've got loads of good internal sleeves, dust seals shouldn't be a problem, can get them from the same place

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advan ... &x=33&y=11

Had to take these bearings out cos theywere truely bolloxed, plus the heat from getting it powdercoated wrecks them anyway.
novaiiman

linkage bearings

Post by novaiiman »

Cheers.

Just getting around to restoring a 1990 KR1S that I bought from UK a couple years ago and had shipped to me here in Southern California. The assembly is coming along fine, but discovered the lower link needle bearing is shot. Noticed the thread on this subject. I'd like to replace it with new, but don't know where to go here in the states. Not many people here even know of the bike (I also have a 92 with only 11 miles on the clock that I imported from Australia last year). Anyway, any help in getting me in touch with a shop or bearing place that would sell me what I need would be great. I have a friend, Peter Collinson at Coordsport in West Midlands who is boxing me up a couple Aprilias to ship later this month. I could have him get the bearings if someone can point me in the right direction. Please email me direct at novaiiman@adelphia.net

Thanks, a relocated Brit.

Terry :)
There's no smoke like a two-stroke
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

Red Devil 777 wrote: Had to take these bearings out cos theywere truely bolloxed, plus the heat from getting it powdercoated wrecks them anyway.
i thought alot of places insist that bearing etc are removed?
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

SHimmer45 wrote:
Red Devil 777 wrote: Had to take these bearings out cos theywere truely bolloxed, plus the heat from getting it powdercoated wrecks them anyway.
i thought alot of places insist that bearing etc are removed?
I know of more than one or two places where they will coat with the bearings intact, normally blanked off by washers etc, not good practice in my opinion cos the heat does the bearings no good and if you leave them in there is always the risk that some grease/oil residue will be in the bearing then run out onto the heated powdercoat and spoil the finish.

Personally, I always take them out and replace, perhaps I didn't word my response quite like that but that's what I meant :D
666damned
Oil Injector

Re: linkage bearings

Post by 666damned »

Red Devil 777 wrote:Just looking at replacing some linkage bearingson the project, had a look on the team sparrow site (Am I being thick or is there no parts bit for the swingarm and linkages on the parts page on here?) and it looks like they are a std needle roller bearing 18x24x16 as these here

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advan ... c&x=21&y=7

Not priced any genuine kwak ones up yet, anyone see any problems or offer some info on this. Used simply bearings several times before, ordered once at 4.45pm and had them in my hand at eight am the following day, can't see that happening at the minute.
Hi Mark..............i replced the needle bearings in my linkage ...purchasing from a company in Hull called George Lodge & Sons,took the bearings in and they matched 'em up,i could dig out the receipts for the prices if you wish,only difference being that they were not full contact,ie: not same amount of 'needle' rollers in them...but i didn't think it would cause an issue,i didnt need the dust seals as mine wern't too bad,but could really do to replace the internal sleeves,but they will have to do for now.... :D :D

Dave
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........