Carbs - Why am I so confused

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
nate
Heavy Smoker

Carbs - Why am I so confused

Post by nate »

Hi Gang... Merry Xmas and all that jazz

Following on from my "petrol in my pipes" post...

I have removed my RHS carb to try and identify the problem with this over fueling to the RS cylinder and exhaust... ](*,)

Ok, the thing is I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to carb settings...

This is what I have done

a) Taken float bowl off, tried blowing though the petrol inlet and flicking the float up and down... The float and hence the valve works a treat and wont let air through, therefore I can assume it wont let petrol through either...

b) after a bit of metal work, I have clamped the offending carb to the bench and have got the petrol tank set up above it...

My thinking is that if the float is out of adjustment, if I leave the petrol on, fuel should leak out from somewhere... Anyway none comes out ](*,)

so

c) looking in the manual, it bangs on about a fuel height guage (which seems to me to be a clear tube that I can measure the head of pressure with (I guess))..

So, where do I plug this clear tube on??? At the bottom of my carb I have two outlets...

a) being my carb drain / overflow
b) being another one

I have tried plugging the tube on to option b but nothing comes out

I have tried plgging it on to a (i.e. the drain one) and petrol comes out if i undo the drain allen key thingy...

I this the right way to go or am I just being a twit [-o<

I guess if someone could explain what I am trying to achieve and how to do it, that would be great... If you could use words of one or two sylables as I think I am being a bit dim here on this one :mrgreen:

Cheers

Nate
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

yup put it on the drain and it will flow out till the hight in the bowl shuts the valve just hold the end of it higher than the float bowl...or itll keep coming...
set your float hight to the settings in the manual(20mm i think?)just take off the bowl..tilt the carb till the floats close off the valve but not pushing on it and measure from the bottom of the float to the seat on the carb that the bowl sits on..bend the tab that the shut off valve hooks to on the bowls to adjust the hight .confused???? its all in the manual.... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

hi mate
trying to reproduce the snag can be a pain, it may have just been crap in the fuel holding the valve off. do you have fuel filters fitted?

ive just ordered two new float valves for mine but my snag was that it kept flowing out of the overflow whilst it was running then carried on when the bike was stopped.
until i switched the fuel off, then once stripped and blown threw with compressed air would be ok till the next thrashing :?:

i think blowing will force the valve onto the seat so will not give a true indication.
are your overflows blocked?

if it was filling up the exhausts whilst it wasnt running it would have to go thru the crankcase first and top that up woudnt it?

an ar50 tthe mopedathon kept topping up the exhaust and spitting fuel out the exhaust
..it was a blocked air filter....

always just turn my carbs upside down to measure the float hieght with a ruler (19-21mm),

the allen key is for draining the bowls :D,
but when you do the test only open it a little to allow fuel to seep out as the fuel has to fill the float bowl up kwicker than you empty it to give a true reading :) :)

hope this helps :)
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc