swingarms ?

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
kinkyfreestyler
Heavy Smoker

swingarms ?

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

will the swingarm off the rs 250 fit ?it,s nicer than the rgv one any ideas ?any of you lot tryed it or are trying it at the moment ?

any help or input would be good ! thanks
s**t happens get over it
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Is that the h***a RS250 GP bike? If so then the answer is no as the chain drive is non the wrong side. If its Aprilla than I don't think anyone has tried but it is a lot bigger so I wouldn't think it'll fit without a lot of machining.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I've had access to loads of swingarms through a breakers I know, and have tried various for fitting into a KR, including cbr400rr, tzr125rr4dl plus various others, not had ago with an Aprillia arm yet, but the reason I don't think it'll be an easy fit is this.

Most of them will go in pretty easy the 4dl one looked made to fit, linkage points were even in the ideal position and would have only needed a couple of small spacers, the problem arises with all the swingarms that appear to have a 'hole' in them as opposed to the KR and rgv arms which are pretty much just two extrusions with a couple of jointing pieces welded across. This then means that you'll either end up having to hack pieces out of the swinarm so the spring will not foul or making mounting plates that will bolt or weld up to the kr shock mount and make the shock stand more vertical to give adequate clearance.

Personally I don't fancy hacking a load of meat of the swingarm and then having to get someone to weld it all back up again. Similarly I'm a bit dubious about my capabilities to get the mounting brackets right, so I'd end up getting them made, which again is a pain when you can use something else which will look as good.

Old story I suppose anything can be made to fit, depends on time and money, then again I'm sure jmc or metmachex would sort one out......at a price!
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

in my opinion the rgv swing arm wins the swing arm battle for a number of reasons. the most important been that its a big improvement over std and not much heavier according to elf who has carried out this mod. the design and shape makes it obvious that it will be far stiffer than the std kr swing arm and also its a newer design. second is the fact that although it appears to look far mor modern than stock with its heavy bracing(compared to stock) it still matches the ''butch'' lines of the kr frame. i feel that the rs prilla swinger may look a little too sculptured even if it does have a slight stiffness advantage, nothing noticable between the rs and rgv. also i reckon the rs swinger will be a touch heavier thasn the suzuki item. third reason has to be how deceptively easy the work involved in carrying out this mod is. from what i hear it involves making some rods, 2mm spacers either side of swinger and some spacers either side of the knuckle. from what elf posted in another thread its very straight forward, far easier than you would ever imaginme, given the way the rgv looks so diffrent from a kr swingarm and the fact that it performs so much better in terms of stiffness. its like a fluke discovery and has to be the best improvent going in terms of cost and ease of carrying out when it comes to improving on the kr's chassis. apart from 17' tyre/r6 shock/ and decent forks. it has to be right up there with the best kr mods of all time!