Are KR1 forks damper rod or cartridge?

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Cowkiller

Are KR1 forks damper rod or cartridge?

Post by Cowkiller »

New here and yet to find a KR1, but thinking about how to improve it when it does arrive. First question, and forgive me if it's too obvious.

Are KR1 forks damper rod or cartridge? If they're damper rod, do any firms do a cartridge emulator kit?

Cheers.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

They are damper rod as standard. Not seen any cartridge kits for them all though I think someone on here has converted some.

Most people either get Maxton to rework the standard forks or replace the whole front end with something a lot better. The most common mod is a ZXR400 front end with USD cartridge forks. These not only look better but improve the handling no end.

There's some pics of various KR's with this mod on the forum including mine, Scobbles, and Corkie's bikes. Its a straight stem swop (fit the KR stem into the ZXR bottom yoke) and then bolt it straight in.

Hope this helps
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Dont quote me on this but I believe that FZR RRSP forks are fully adjustable and a fairly straight swap also early R6 - unless you want to go the USD route then what elf said goes.
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I rthink the early R6 and R1 forks are also non-cartridge, but they still be better though :lol:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !