TO LUBE OR NOT TO LUBE

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

TO LUBE OR NOT TO LUBE

Post by NOSHER »

HI FELLAS YES ITS ME AGAIN WITH ANOTHER QUESTION---WELL AFTER ALL THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS ALL ABOUT YES??
IM ABOUT TO START ENGINE ASSY AFTER THE CRANK REBUILD (DAMN EXPENSIVE CRANK SEALS) AND AM CONSIDERING LUBING THE CRANK BEARINGS WITH A QUALITY CAMSHAFT LUBE TO PRECT THE BEARING SURFACES ON INITIAL START UP AND RUNNING.
SERVICE MANUAL SAYS SWEET FA REGARDING THIS OR EVEN IF ITS NECESSARY--WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINKS CAM LUBE MOLY DISULPHIDE OR LEAVE ALONE AND WAIT FOR THE 2T TO DO ITS JOB?????????
COL
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: TO LUBE OR NOT TO LUBE

Post by JanBros »

when assembling the engine, I spray a good amount of oil through the holes in the transferducts in the cases while turning the crank to lube the bearrings.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks for that Jan— I wondered what those openings in the crankcase were there for.
Do you think that a cam breakin lube would be more effective at protecting the bearings during the initial startup or is 2T oil sufficient for this

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

Any good quality 2-stroke oil should be more than sufficient. I would run on a 30:1 mix in the petrol tank while you bleed the air from the oil pump and lines. Once the air is gone you can switch to pure petrol in the tank.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks Gerrit good tip that thanks.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

The procedure for bleeding the air from the pump and oil lines is probably in the shop manual. It shouldn't take long so you only need to put a litre or so of the mix in the tank at most, using the same oil as you run in the oil tank of course. It will be a bit smoky, but after bleeding just top up the tank with pure petrol, no need to throw the mix away.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks Gerrit I just found that info in the manual but your way seems safer and more efficient.
Just off to collect a new gearbox output shaft bearing seems ok but every now and then it feels a little notchy so for the sake of £15 I’ll have all new rollers in the bottom.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30