Top fairing! Buying from Japan.

Plastic bits and Paint
Paul250B
Heavy Smoker

Top fairing! Buying from Japan.

Post by Paul250B »

So earlier this week I managed to buy a complete (bar the front muddy) plastic set for a shade over £400, granted the plastics are in Japan and I have further costs to be met in shipping, however this is the second top fairing I’ve seen for sale in Japan in 3 weeks, the last one was just the top fairing and made £180.
The one I’ve bought has one small crack at the top fair bolt hole (to frame stay) which Bernie tells me he can repair no problem and one side panel lug missing, otherwise it looks remarkably clean, and comes with headlamp, indicators, screen and the black screen trim.
I’ll update this post with the full costs once known as I’m sure many of you will keen to know how this pans out.
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Top fairing! Buying from Japan.

Post by Gerrit »

Postage is one thing- HM Customs demanding their hundredweight of flesh quite another!
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
Paul250B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Paul250B »

If I’ve understood correctly 2.5% custom duty, then vat.
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

I've bought a fair few bike parts from Japan over the years, shipping has always been quick and hassle-free. Costs can soon mount up though : purchase price, buying fees, domestic shipping, currency conversion, international shipping, import duty plus the fee for ParcelFarce to administer it. Clever buying can minimise costs by combining items together.

I've often been lucky with packages from Japan, they've not always been hit with import duty, unlike those from the USA which get hit every time. Probably depends on how overwhelmed/bored ParcelFarce are that day. Sometimes the fee gets applied before you receive your package, sometimes you get an invoice afterwards.

Good luck !
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
Paul250B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Paul250B »

StrokerBoy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 am I've bought a fair few bike parts from Japan over the years, shipping has always been quick and hassle-free. Costs can soon mount up though : purchase price, buying fees, domestic shipping, currency conversion, international shipping, import duty plus the fee for ParcelFarce to administer it. Clever buying can minimise costs by combining items together.

I've often been lucky with packages from Japan, they've not always been hit with import duty, unlike those from the USA which get hit every time. Probably depends on how overwhelmed/bored ParcelFarce are that day. Sometimes the fee gets applied before you receive your package, sometimes you get an invoice afterwards.

Good luck !
Thank you!
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

How did you go. Given size, and flight restrictions not a good time to require air services

ExpressMailService
Length under 1.5m;
Length + girth under 3 m (L + 2W + 2H)

Likely to exceed 3m leaving only DHL or FedEx as carriers
I havent used UGX but would expect its probably at courier pricing

Estimated shipping cost
Oversea shipping
※Available shipping methods
FedEx Intl. Priority 104,860 yen

£785 ? + 400 x 20% = £1,422

I couldnt get a belly pan out of Australia because of their postal size limit
Eventually bought back from friends house in Brisbane as luggage (sporting goods excess baggage £20)
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

I've bought quite a few faings, tanks and panels from Miyabee? and never had any extra costs attached over the purchase price, and they always came through via the post office/parcelfoce as the final carrier. Also found most bodywork from Japan is usually sun faded as it all stands outside apparently. space is a premium and not to be wasted on garages :)
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

StrokerBoy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 am I've bought a fair few bike parts from Japan over the years, shipping has always been quick and hassle-free. Costs can soon mount up though : purchase price, buying fees, domestic shipping, currency conversion, international shipping, import duty plus the fee for ParcelFarce to administer it. Clever buying can minimise costs by combining items together.

Good luck !
Hi, I am looking for someone to help me purchase something out of Japan, of course I will pay all expenses,its just a small item. If anyone can help, pm me.
daz680
Oil Injector

Post by daz680 »

Hi
If you want to from japan just sign up to Buyee or Rinkya, they buy the item for you and do the shipping.
Buyee purchase fees are a lot cheaper than Rinkya but the will not ship fuel tanks or anything that has contained oil.
Rinkya.com will ship virtually anything up to a weight of 30kg no problem, the one advantage with them is you can set the value of you item at shipping thus reducing import duties but you do pay more in purchase fees.
My last package fro. JAPAN through Rinkya arrived i 4 days by fedex.
Simple, sign up. Search on yahoo.jp for what you want, just like ebay and bid on it. If you win it is shipped to their warehouse repacked if needed and then shipped to you.
Currently building RC30 lookalike
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

I cant figure out Buyee when the item is not on Yahoo or Ebay , I need this battery strap, Can anybody help me ?

https://www.monotaro.com/g/02497912/
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Pepsi,

It is available on Ebay
Let me know if its correct and you need it getting for you.

Cheers
Bernie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/402056124989?c ... EBEALw_wcB
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

500bernie wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:22 am Hi Pepsi,

It is available on Ebay
Let me know if its correct and you need it getting for you.

Cheers
Bernie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/402056124989?c ... EBEALw_wcB
the diagram shows a different type , but that be a general pic, the seller will not send it to me.
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

pepsi wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:24 pm I cant figure out Buyee when the item is not on Yahoo or Ebay , I need this battery strap, Can anybody help me ?

https://www.monotaro.com/g/02497912/
Japamart offers a 'Shopping Service' (https://japamart.com/sspecial.php). Although it doesn't specifically list Monotaro as a source, I don't see why there should be a problem - you can ask. I have used this service a few times and had no trouble. You should be OK with a battery strap, but just check Japamart's list of prohibited items for your own info.

Regards,
James
Paul250B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Paul250B »

Shipment was ordered on Dec 29th, arrived yesterday after sitting in Japan for a while due to lack of flights (backlog of cargo?)
Shipping cost 35000yen, and to be fair the box was packed very well and as I’d asked, managed to fit one complete set of plastics, including a front muddy plus another top fairing section, pair of fairing infill panels, full front brake hydraulics from an S(master through to callipers, with the sort after bracket for reservoir), bottom yoke from a zxr250, some nos KR1 parts, 2 top fairing brackets and a headlamp, all in one box, not oversized, tax and import came to £187
Paul250B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Paul250B »

KR-1R wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:21 pm How did you go. Given size, and flight restrictions not a good time to require air services

ExpressMailService
Length under 1.5m;
Length + girth under 3 m (L + 2W + 2H)

Likely to exceed 3m leaving only DHL or FedEx as carriers
I havent used UGX but would expect its probably at courier pricing

Estimated shipping cost
Oversea shipping
※Available shipping methods
FedEx Intl. Priority 104,860 yen

£785 ? + 400 x 20% = £1,422

I couldnt get a belly pan out of Australia because of their postal size limit
Eventually bought back from friends house in Brisbane as luggage (sporting goods excess baggage £20)
Box measures at 50x50x98 cm about as big as possible without going oversize. I asked for minimal packaging between the items as they all will be refinished anyway, and for heavy items to placed at the bottom of the package. Everything had one layer of bubble wrap, and the voids were filled with foam bags (like expanding foam in a bag that fills the void and sets) so no movement.