Fork Spring Length?

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Jiffi77
Heavy Smoker

Fork Spring Length?

Post by Jiffi77 »

Hi, just in the process of re-building my forks (KR1S) measured the fork springs and they are 438mm long, the manual states they should be 468mm - can anyone confirm if the length in the manual is correct??
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Fork Spring Length?

Post by JanBros »

checked my manual :

KR1 springs are 450, service limit is 442. the inner legs are interchangeable, so that might be a possibility.

Then in the KR1S manual I have, indeed it says 468mm, but someone drew a line through that and wrote 438 next to it. and as service limit he wrote 429mm ??

he also changed the oil capacity : 336 when changing oil, 396 when dry.

It's been over ten years since Ive had original forks in my bike/hand, so can't realy say what is what. I knew they were different lengths (KR1-KR1S), but don't know which are longer.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Jiffi77
Heavy Smoker

Re: Fork Spring Length?

Post by Jiffi77 »

Cheers Janbros, I'll keep that info in mind as I will probably rebuild these with these springs, is the air-gap measurement changed or as per manual? In fairness I don't know the history of these forks, they came off an ex-race bike I bought years ago, I thought I would practice and re-build these before re-building the original ones. It's ended up costing me a small fortune with new bushes, seals and fork seal driver!!