Can any one tell me what these pistons are from?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Can any one tell me what these pistons are from?

Post by Bikemike »

Pulled the barrels off the garden project today, What a result, the engine is in great nick inside, no corrosion and very little wear.
It has been tuned by Graham file and is running different pistons, does anyone recognise them?

Sorry about the rubbish photos, I can try and get better ones if that helps.
Many thanks,
Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

look like tz pistons to me...26j?
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

very lucky find! cases look a work of art, piston definitly arent 26j, but look like tz of some sort, possibly 4dp? beware of the barrels been shorter as if there 4dp they will have been. you will have to stick to whatever pistons are in there currently if they've been shortened as std ones will certainly touch the head! the motor must have cost serious money to build as graham aint cheap and is very proffesional, f250 spec is well over a grand for the full monty so if yours has little wear youve done very well!!
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

could you post a pic of the head please m8?
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I can't understand just leaving that to rot, you've got to be slightly deranged to do that. :?

Absolute heathens some people, should be tarred feathered and made to drive Triumph Dolomites (maroon ones eh, Lee) :lol:
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

i agree, it looks as though it barely been run jugding by the piston crowns, gaskets and lack of marks on pistons! wonder how it ended up rotting in a garden/shed? hope what i suspect happend didnt? cant see any other reason though why someone would spend a grand on a engine tune, 200 on topend overhaul then just leave it, also looks like it was intended for race use rather than a ''mid life crisis/loss of intrest as it wasnt just a plain old rebuild.
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

The owner used to race it, had just had the engine tuned in 1997 (£600- I have the receipts) but when he started a family he ended the racing and put it back on the road.
He didn't use it much and put in in the garage, when he moved there wasn't space so thats how it ended up outside.
It wasn't wilfull neglect, just a combination of circumstances. I think he was sad to see it go, he is a real enthusiast who knew his stuff but his business commitments meant he couldn't do anything with it. I'm going to keep in touch and let him know how the restoration goes.

Mike
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

More poor photo's-

The quality of the porting is superb, a credit to Graham, you can certainly see why he has such a good reputation.
Its just a shame the rest of the bike is such a mess.........

Mike
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

They look like 3TC or 3AK
Measure the height of the barrel if it is about 89mm then they have been shortened and they are deffo 3TC/3AK

Stock barrel is 90.6 ish (can't remember exact dimensions)

If they have been shortened examine the back mounting lugs carefully for cracks - the barrels fail at that point.

Flowed cases as well.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

even with poor pics, you can see the quality of grahams fair hand as you say, bet its a real flyer particularly in the mid range as graham is famous for his logical thinking, drive is much better than 12hp at 8000rpm-88hp at9000rpm!! probably why it was used on the road as graham file engines can be ridden to the shops as well as anihilate all else at the race track, bike mike that is one lucky find! lucky bugger
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Measured the barrels today, 89mm as you thought Mark.

I guess that means 3tc or 3ak pistons. Are these still available readily?
Do Yamaha still support the tz?
The ones in there look fine but I am bound to need some sooner or later.

There are no visible cracks on the lugs but how on earth do you torque the nuts up? I could only just get a spanner on them, let alone a socket.

Drained the gearbox oil today, it came out looking brand new :D

Clutch is seized though, any tips on freeing it off?

Mike
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

clutch is held on the shaft by a large(ish) circlip, once you get it off undo the 5 screws that holds the plates in a pack, the ''star'' shaped alloy is very prone to breaking if care isnt considered, undo gradually as you would a cylinder head. place upside down in your hand and it should drop out(set of plates) then soak in petrol and carefully seperate the plates using a screwdriver, voila, job done! the base nuts are a pita needing certain spanners of 12mm, any will do, modify a spare one using a grinder, as long as it fits on and off, who cares! as far as i know tourqueing base nuts(front ones) is not possible? most importantly is REMEMBER the diffrence in height coz like mark has already said theres 2mm between yours and std meaning the accidental use of a std or std dimension piston will be catastrophic!
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

KABLAMO!!!!!
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)