KR1 Restoration

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

KR1 Restoration

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Hi Guys,

I just sold my X7 so I am going to use some of the funds to start my KR1 restoration :D . I have had the bike for a while sat in the corner of my shed waiting for some love. I picked her up about 18 months ago for £100 and I decided she was worth saving as the headstock lugs are untouched and there isn't any damage and all of the threadserts are good. I have been collecting parts for a while now so I have a lot of excellent and NOS parts to go on her.

I draged her out and finished stripping her today. Had a bit of a battle getting the swing arm spindle out but I won in the end. I cleaned down the bottom engine mount area to make sure there was no sign of the dreaded cracking and all is well.

I'll be getting the frame and wheels off for powder coating over the next week or so.

The plan is this will be a standard restoration which is going to be quite slow if my past record is anything to go by :roll:

I'm going to put a wanted add up for things I need.

As I make progress I'll add more pics, don;t hold your breath though :lol: .

Cheers

Andrew

Last edited by Bertie_Mollie on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Nice one Andrew, good luck.
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Excellent, another KR-1 back on the roads - much better than those common KR-1S things!
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Nice one Bertie, I'm on the lookout for a KR-1 as well, (don't seem to come up for sale that often now), doubt I'll find one for £100 though.

Keep the pics coming, be good to see the rebuild, always rated your rebuilds up there with the best I've seen.
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

I think the KR1 has been slightly in the "doldrums" in the shadow of the KR1S but I think this will change in time.

I'm doing the KR1 this time as I has a GWB KR1 in the past and already have the KR1S.

I'm really looking forward to it as I think the KR1 has it's own character.

Thanks for the moral support guys :) .

Oh, BTW here was our KR1 about 15 years ago.

Last edited by Bertie_Mollie on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

nice one bertie look forward to seeing the results as they are done.
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
twostrokesmoker
Heavy Smoker

Post by twostrokesmoker »

Good luck Andrew dont forget the pics as you go.

Great archive pic mate, but I think that tank & fairing would look better on mine :mrgreen: :lol:
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

come on andy get a move on'.............pmsl
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

Great to another Kr1 getting the attention it deserves!
Whats the motor like?
Brings back good memorys that pic,a proper team green type paintjob,prefer it over the later models.
Good luck :D
Dave
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

dave32 wrote:Great to another Kr1 getting the attention it deserves!
Whats the motor like?
Brings back good memorys that pic,a proper team green type paintjob,prefer it over the later models.
Good luck :D
Dave
Attention she deserves did include a big hammer and a fair bit of swearing.

The top end is in the back of my wardrobe and is in really good condition. I'll just stick some new pistons and rings in and some KIPS seals. I need to strip the bottom end and have a look at the crank.

WRT the colours it will be GWB. I have some mint original side panels and a tail piece I got off Martin a while back. The fairing upper that came with the bike is perfect with no cracks, repairs or damage :shock:.

I think it has potential to make a really nice bike.
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Hi Guys,

Got the frame / swingarm and various other sundrie parts back from triple S. Very nice job, paint not too thick and frame number still nice and clear.

I have started cleaning parts ready for fitting. Including the harness which was prepared using the "Wight Wizard Method". I have got the wheel bearings waiting for the wheels to be back from paint and the swing arm bearings are on order. Rear shock is also out for refurb.

Last edited by Bertie_Mollie on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

using the "Wight Wizard Method".
It does work bloody well =D>
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Started fitting some bits up while I'm waiting for the rear damper & wheels.

I am going to try make this as close to the original KR1 spec as possible. I have a box of fasteners which I am going to use where they are good enough so I have the right finishes. Looking through some of the spares I have I already noticed there are different upper rad brkts :o .

She is having a KR1 CDI, of course :).

BTW - if anyone spots anything they don't think is right for a KR1 then please let me know 8-[

Cheers

Andrew

Last edited by Bertie_Mollie on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Good pics :) why are you waiting for the rear shock, are you having it rebuilt (if so, where please) or have you got a new one, thought you had piles of stuff in stock ??

Is everything being replated or nice standard fixings with the aged look, (makes a nicer original resto in my book, that I would also ride on sunny days)
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Hi Bott,

I am having the rear damper re built at Mick Gardener Racing http://www.mickgardnerracing.com/

I found a recommendation on here so I thought I'd try them. Might be best to wait till I get mine back before I give my aproval. Should be ready in the next couple of weeks.

I am searching though the big box of fixings I have for ones which are in good condition with the original finish. If they can be re used they are going on the bike. Hopefully I should have most but if not I'll see if I can source new ones from "Big K".

I didn't think I had the rectangular washer plate to hold on the swing arm protector so I checked availability and it is NLA. Fortunately I turned one up in a box in original "green" passivate finish :).

Cheers

Andrew
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum