1989 kr1 with kr1s bits and bobs

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
maccas
Oil Injector

1989 kr1 with kr1s bits and bobs

Post by maccas »

hello all i am new to this forum but have been on the tzr250 and tdr250 forums for a while now as i have a 1990 2ma, anyway here are some pics of my 1989 kr1 with kr1s paintwork, kr1s wheels, kr1s spannies with nikkon silencers, proflex rear shock, i bought it as a none runner a few weeks back off ebay (some of you may recognise it), didnt take much getting going, the woodruff key had sheared and the pilot jets were blocked, sorted that out but low and behold a crank rebuild is in order as it was rather rumbly from the bottom end, i'll be happy knowing that all is well once it has been rebuilt though, anyway pics as i got it:

i then started the inevitable stripdown:

ok so i maybe went a little too far

swinging arm before:

after polishing:

the engine is in bits and i have sent the crank away to get rebuilt, inscribed on the barrels and head is stadley stage III at least i think it is stadley, it mite be stanley not sure, but all the transfers have been raised aswell as the exhaust ports, the squish bands look to have been re-cut and the head appears to have been skimmed, it is fitted with a full set of carbon reeds, so i'm hoping it will go pretty well, it sounded well when it was running (apart from the rumble from the crank)

the plan is to finish polishing the frame and other bits, match the barrels into the cases and fill any voids up with epoxy, make a really good job of matching the powervalves and setting them up correctly, new pistons and rings full gasket set, crank rebuild then build it all up and use it as it was intended, hasnt been on the road since 1999 so i intend to change that, hope you enjoy the pics and i will update as and when i can, please leave comments, maccas
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

looks like the tanks had a respray (full/partial?)

all in one seat unit looks neat 8)

what did you do the polishing with?

shoud be a tidy bike when you've finished :)
Smokings Good For You
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

yer well spotted on the respray, the whole bike has been done a couple of years ago but it hasn't seen the road yet so it is very fresh, could you tell by the missing black surround on the yellow s?

lots of man hours with lots of various grades of wet and dry and copious amounts of autosol and polishing wheels etc.

i like the single seat unit too, it makes me cringe when i fit it though because you have to prise it around the frame lol
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Looking good! might be worth fitting (s) forks & brakes though?
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

i agree with the forks and brakes, i've bought some kr1s discs and i'm going to keep an eye out for some forks and 4 pot calipers, the calipers and discs on the bike are shagged anyway and the forks are pitted badly, so its a good excuse to upgrade lol, i notice you have a 300cc stan stephens conversion? worth the money? what sort of top end does it put out if you don't mind me asking?
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Have a look at this link for calipers viewtopic.php?t=2550 As for the 300cc conversion it puts out about 62bhp & goes like stink! but I had A lot of problems with it (down to Stan Stevens not edging the ports properly) dont think I would have another one done again must have spent over a £1000.00 on the barells to finaly get them right ](*,)
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

thanks for the link thats very handy indeed, i will investigate :)

i think i will stick with 249cc then lol is 62bhp at the wheel?
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Yes at the back wheel, have a look at this link, viewtopic.php?t=4989&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 it will make good reading & show you whats possible if you know what your doing, some great people on here & will be more than willing to help
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

very good reading indeed, off to go and get myself some jb weld lol
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

Stage 111 its probably stan stephens tuning had my rd 125 done there many moons ago, just started my project will upload photo's when i work out how cause ain't got a clue, cheers wayne. kr1 250
Premix Junkie

kr1

Post by 375 »

I always like the cilit bang picture's ( before and after).

Looking good, give's me the push to start tidying my 1s in the winter but just doing the final bits on my lc/rgv :D

keep the pictures coming.
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

i will return this afternoon with a pic of the frame and how it looks after larger amounts of polishing
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

struggling to get a mirror finish, been using 2000 grit wet and dry to flat the frame back after using some 1200 initially, still seems way too dull for my liking, polishing wheels bring it up better but still nowhere near where it should be, does anyone have any ideas?
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

decided to put bike back together loosely so that it takes up less room in my garage, also wanted to see how the polished frame looked with all the fairing in place, going to concentrate on getting the engine finished this week

tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

Hi i use felt polishing wheels that attach screw onto an angle grinder, using blue finishing soap, here's a link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANGLE-GRINDER-POL ... .m14.l1262

cheers wayne.