forking help needed !

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
kinkyfreestyler
Heavy Smoker

forking help needed !

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

Hi need some help and advise
Took the kr out to the three sisters track in Wigan ,tenner for 10 mins on track ,good fun and gives me the chance to see what my bike really handles like.
Well on the way up there I had the front tyre letting go and sliding ,so when I got to the track I spent most of the time messing about with the forks trying to get some sort of feel for it ,but I came away feeling like I'm not getting enough weight on the front tyre.

SO THIS IS WHERE i NEED THE HELP ! I am running a zxr400 front end so its all up in the air as to the settings , what I need is (1) can anyone tell me the full length of a standard kr1 fork (from the centre of the axle to the top ) and (2) alot of you run your forks slid up/dropped in the yoke ,can you tell me how much ,from the top yoke up .

I've set my static sag and I'm just about to fit a bridgestone 090 120/60x17 which I think(hope) will feel better than the michelin thats fitted at the moment.

give me some thing to work with

thanks for looking any advice welcome
s**t happens get over it
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: forking help needed !

Post by Gerrit »

The KR-1(S) fork length is 722 mm from axle centreline to top of fork. Hope this helps.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
kinkyfreestyler
Heavy Smoker

Thanks,thats a start

Any one with the fork drop ?
s**t happens get over it
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

You are using a ZXR swingarm. What linkage/shock combination are you using for the rear end? Eddie Lawson once remarked that front end problems are often caused by the rear. Has the wheelbase been altered by the ZXR swingarm?
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
kinkyfreestyler
Heavy Smoker

I think you missunderstood I will be fitting a zxr swingarm but at the moment I only have the zxr frontend fitted at the moment
s**t happens get over it
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

ZXR is about 40kg heavier, so unless you are a heavy-weight yourself, you'd probably be better of with softer springs.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
kinkyfreestyler
Heavy Smoker

Hi ,thanks for the replies .

Spoke to a few suspension places and they all say that the original spring is rated at 7.5nm and that is what they recommend ,but more of a linear then a swop to lighter oil or a full damper kit should give me a better frontend

so being on a budget its going to be maxton springs and lighter oil till I can afford the damper ,plus a bridgestone 090 120/60 tyre and see how that goes.

I'll let ya know.

One thing I could do with knowing is how much standard fork stands out of the top yoke ? try and sort my ride height out a bit better.

thanks again
s**t happens get over it
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

kinkyfreestyler wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 am One thing I could do with knowing is how much standard fork stands out of the top yoke ? try and sort my ride height out a bit better.
you should work the other way round : first set up the bike that it rides like you want it, and only after that when you do not have enough clearance, raise the bike.
if you first set the ride-height (which you can only change at the front with an original rear shock), you may be trying to set-up the bike with a headstock angle that isn't good for you.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !