My KR1s Project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
toby69
Light Smoker

Re: My KR1s Project

Post by toby69 »

Luders wrote:Yeah looks good, impressive. Are you doing the wheels next?
Yeah Wheels and frame getting done next. Might just get the frame powder coated though

Wheels I just can't decide whether to go completely Green or Green but keeping the polished rim. The rim needs a good bit of TLC to bring back a good shine but seems a bit of a waste to cover it up with paint lol
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Personal preference, for me I would get the frame painted and paint the entire wheels.
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

Well been busy this month

Sent the frame away to be powder coated, basically just cause I didn't have the time to prep and paint it myself and this is how it turned out!!!!

I wasn't happy!!! so back it went!! the guy that owned the place did it this time and did a great job

Got the wheels painted on Boxing day lol
Decided to keep the polished rim for the time being and will see how it looks. I can always do them again if I decide I don't like it

As it sat last week!!

Decided to hydrodip my clock surround was going to do it carbon fibre look but decided on this

toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

Came across this when I stripped the brakes!!

No upper/dust seals and what can only be described as black silicon around the pistons!!! I guess this was what they used to stop the damaged piston from leaking!!!!!! No wonder the brakes felt a bit vague!!!!

Finally got it all put back together and with NO spares, must be a first time for everything lol

And the clock surround actually looks OK so will stay lol not everyones cup of tea I'm sure but I like to add my own wee touches

Just waiting for new rubber and fingers crossed might get the engine down to BDK to start the rebuild
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

Good progress mate...and I like the clock surround!
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Great work =D> =D> =D>
That's the best 1S colour scheme for me too 8) .
Looking forward to seeing this one finished.
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
EYREY1
Heavy Smoker

Post by EYREY1 »

thats nice
rhyde

Post by rhyde »

Excellent excellent work there mate. Can I asked where u sourced all the decals from ?
jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno »

Great looking bike there =D> =D>
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
Kr1s c2 black green
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

Thanks everyone

Drove the 1200 miles round trip yesterday to drop the bike off at BDK race engineering to get the engine build done. Can't wait to get it back!

I bought the decals off ebay from classic reproduction decals and parts. Cost £79.99 I think.
First time I've put on decals apart from your normal stickers and they were easy to put on and quality is great.

You get the complete kit which includes the blue on the fairing and the green around the headlight but I never used them I just painted that bits as I was painting stuff anyway
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

toby69 wrote:Thanks everyone

Drove the 1200 miles round trip yesterday to drop the bike off at BDK race engineering to get the engine build done.

Did they give you an estimate for the labour cost of the rebuid Toby?
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

That's looking really nice 8)

The clock surround is bananas --- I like bananas :D
I used to be undecided, but now I am not so sure.
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

podman wrote:
toby69 wrote:Thanks everyone

Drove the 1200 miles round trip yesterday to drop the bike off at BDK race engineering to get the engine build done.

Did they give you an estimate for the labour cost of the rebuid Toby?
I'm sure they said £300 + Parts and VAT for a strip and rebuild and I didn't think that was too bad?
Matty21
Heavy Smoker

Post by Matty21 »

Really like this, was a great read and the bike itself looks mint fella. well done!
23, Racing a zx9r in Aintree race club.

Ex Kr1 owner.....one day again.
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

Well that's it basically finished!! just a couple wee bits I need to sort out that I aint happy with.

Made the 1200 mile round trip again at the weekend to pick to bike back up from BDK after them working their magic on the engine. I have to say it was well worth it!! the engine looks better than new. Glad I decided to get it all blasted and the bolts etc plated it has made all the difference.
Turns out it was also running a bit lean so it also paid to have them run it on the Dyno and set it up properly.

Looks a lot cleaner under the tank now.

And the engine

Just the exhaust let it down now! I did ask BDK about replacing them but they reckon the standard exhaust works really well on a standard bike

And how she looks now

Just need a lower exhaust bracket ( ordered from fred ) 2 other exhaust brackets for around the cans and that's about it really.

It's been my first ever rebuild and it was a total nut and bolt job with almost everything being either painted, plated or replaced.
The only parts I didn't do myself were the frame and the engine.

Really impressed with how it's turned out and if I'm being honest I wish I had taken a wee bit more time over it as I'm pretty sure it could've been even better if I had.

Looking for another project already!! I would love to do another KR1S but that would just be greedy!!! lol