This might take a while!!!

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
DougB
Oil Injector

This might take a while!!!

Post by DougB »

Ok I've done what I hoped and got a good few miles on the KR this year, decided I'm definitely happy with it and keeping it so time to take it all apart and make it look a bit (hopefully a lot) tidier. I've done a few bits already:

The day I got it:
and it's latest look:

Work I'm planning is engine strip, crank reworked, barrels replated, pistons, new powervalves & pulleys. Frame/swingarm strip & paint (and all the brackets). Wheels and bodywork into Zeus Blue. I'm thinking that lists going to be a lot longer soon :?
DougB
Oil Injector

Re: This might take a while!!!

Post by DougB »

The easy bit done:

All stripped down, bare frame now.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

What's the next job?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Luders wrote:What's the next job?
Frame and swingarm are going off to be blasted and resprayed.. I'll split the engine over the next few days. When the frame and arm are back I'll start slowly getting bits done and bolted back on then I can have fun rebuilding the motor :D
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

I hope for your sake you are quicker than me.
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

500bernie wrote:I hope for your sake you are quicker than me.
It might not take me so long (well that's what I'm think at the moment but lets wait and see) but I can be certain it's not going to look as good. I want to be out on it next year so as long as the engine/frame and underneath bits are done it might go back together for the bodywork to wait another year.. Finally got my hands on a pair of these though :D :D :D

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Those silencers on your bike in the Cadwell photo look a bit DEP esk??
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

They are indeed. They seem to run ok, think they're a standard replacement and it's on standard jetting but I've been wanting originals for it since I got it. Can't believe how heavy the standard exhausts are though, remind me of my old F2 valve!
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

It's taken longer than I expected just to get this stripped!

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Are you flowing your cases?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Aye that's one of my next jobs. I've got a second motor to strip then when I've decided which barrels and other bits to use on the rebuild I'll flow and match the ports a bit before they go off for plating. Noticed some carbon around the edge of the head that came off this motor, the chambers are in great condition but looks like the squish is still original so maybe worth getting it skimmed.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Flowing the cases is a good mod if done well. I have seen some poor attempts in the past and question how much benefit it would bring to the motor.

It's also well documented on here, so good luck.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

I've flowed a couple of engines before, but never had a dyno to be able to test the results. It's just good in my head to know that everything matches up as well as it can and it definitely had an effect on the YPVS motors. Not done a KR motor before but planning to do the same as on the other motors and match up all the mating surfaces. I've read the post on here and looks pretty much the same as I've done before. Only downside, previously I was working in a fully equipped engineering shop where we had lots of nice windy tools, now I'm at home with a recently purchased Dremmel ! 8-[
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I've been through 3 dremels this year, they're shit, but cheap and do a decent job while they're working :)

Have you looked up the info on what to take out and fill on these cases?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

I've been looking through the post on the race prep section and the photo's you posted, looks clear enough so far! Building it up by hand there's a lot going on around the base of the transfer ports on the KR compared to other motors, the 2 castings that come in towards the conrod seem to be right under the centre rear transfer? Maybe they help guide the mixture back up into the port as the piston comes down?

Anyway, going to start on it over the next few days, will let you know how I get on. Taking the bodywork and frame to the sprayers tomorrow and dropping a crank it at SEP.