That looks fantastic Doug =D> =D> =D>
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: This might take a while!!!

Post by JanBros »

well done :!:

nice job and bike =D>
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Thanks for the comments everyone, you can imagine I'm very happy with how it's come together, thanks to anyone that's helped me out with bits/advice from here as well! Wouldn't have been able to get it this point without this site and the peeps on it.

Another parcel turned up, didn't EVER think I'd get hold of one of these NOS

Gave up trying to get the old front cage straight.. this new one will finish things off nicely :D :D
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Having seen this at Cadwell on Saturday - It's looks stunning gorgeous :-) Nice one Doug
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

mellorp wrote:Having seen this at Cadwell on Saturday - It's looks stunning gorgeous :-) Nice one Doug
Cheers Phil, thanks for coming over and saying hello, was trying to spot you around the rest of the weekend but it's a bit hectic round that place! Cracking weekend though and some good track time on the KR!
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Ok well it's back on the road again! After the rattly noise at Cadwell I stripped the top end and I guess a few people have already read about the piston trouble. Anyway I decided I wanted to get it running again to see what the bottom end sounded like as the crank and rods all felt ok, so I put in the pistons that were in the motor when I got the bike back in. Measured the skirts and they seemed spot on, gave them a little clean off and checked the rings and gaps. Then dug out the cyl head I got with the bike, looks standard but one side has a few big chips and dings from an old blow up but I figured it did ok at Cadwell last year so it'll do the job. Rebuilt the top end, CHECKED THE SQUISH!! this time was ok and when all built and tightened up it came out at about .7mm or so. It started and runs well, just been out agin this morning it's done about 50 miles now and all is good. Motor has a tiny bit more vibration than before I think (could all be in my head, it's really not that noticeable), doesn't sound as crisp and splutters a little around 4-5 but in honesty it's pretty good considering. Main thing is it sounds quiet again, rattles all gone and motor is sounding better the more miles it does. Hopefully it'll see out the rest of this year for some decent rides out.

So my winter project now.. Use what I learn't doing this rebuild and all the bits I've got to rebuild and make a better motor on the bench, then swap it into the bike for next year :-). Crank to rebuild, cases to clean and flow, barrels to work on and replate, decide what pistons to go with, get the head that's now on the bench reprofiled to suit squish & chamber size. Should keep me busy.