Pandora's box - Kr1s

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Re: Pandora's box - Kr1s

Post by KR-1R »

500bernie wrote:The last time I stuck my bits in the "dishwasher", she fell pregnant :oops:
... no chance of that happening with a vacuum cleaner :idea:
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Darren,
I don't think I will try that, she has a dyson that manages to pull the carpets off the gripper strips :shock:
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Pandora is living up to her name,

I decided to replace the clutch cover, as it was fairly well ground away at the oil filler - this is a box I did not intend to open.

Found it was cracked on the inside too

I had a spare cover in much better nick, from my parts engine.
The trouble began when I took the cover off the good engine, I found part of the clutch star missing :(

The trouble is when you find something like this, where is the missing bit? is it waiting to bite me in the backside some day?
So a hour or two later I had this mess on my bench.

The upside is the gear clusters look good, and I had a good clutch star on my spare motor. So i built up a good clutch pack from the spare motor using the best bits of both. I also learned how easy these are to pull apart, a 8 and 10 socket, a circlip pliers and one sneaky philips head and it all comes apart :)

No sign of the missing bit though, Could it make it's way to the balance shaft?
I will chance it for now, once it is not in the gearbox I am happy.
It was probably broken on assembly and removed then :?

Just for a laugh, have a look at one of the cylinders on the parts engine.
Hard to believe it was running and didn't crap itself :shock:

Plating worn through,

Look at the chamfer worn into the top of the exhaust port

Luckily the top end on the good motor looks good - I am going to run it for now and strip it next winter.

I also swapped over the twostroke pumps, Pandora had been run on premix, with the pump still attached and running dry :(

Anyone recognize this photo? Performance bikes test - can't remember which issue

Some day Pandora will look this good too :^o
I used to be undecided, but now I am not so sure.
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Some more "attention" Pandora has received :?

Suppose thats one way to mount the clutch lever.
Have a replacement.

Headstock lugs previously repaired, which is ok, but they were welded back on about 20 degrees off #-o
Have filed and massaged them back. will use shims on the lower mount. Lock stop yet to be repaired.

Swingarm pivot spindle had it's diameter reduced and a smaller nut with coarse pitch used.
I have a replacement for this.

I sprayed the rear caliper on the left, It is too mustardy - will redo it.
The one on the right came with the bike, looks ok but isn't great - way to mustard.

And something nice to finish, I got these keyblanks on ebay, Got them cut for 2 Euro and rebuilt the locks, cleaning out all the little tumblers. nice smooth lockset now :D Glad to get rid of that manky old key.
Transplanted the petrol tank barrel, into my shiny black chrome zx10 petrol cap too.

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

The zx10 (old model) filler cap, fitted with the KR1s barrel.

The barrel is a mirror image of the kr one, so the key will not go in.

philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

good work there, take a look on my thread, I used Hammerite Smooth gold [in a gun, mix with std celly thinners] over etch primer for the caliper, with 2k clear over the top. Not a bad match, I'm about to do the fronts now.
Have you got a link for the keys? Be interested in those myself for the KR1 and ZXR

Phil
PS viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8719&start=90 gold doesn't look great in some pics due to the light
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Hey Phil, I have looked at your calipers, they look spot on. It's just I had the can in the shed so tried what I had first.

I found a great match before, christmass decoration spray - I shit you not, perfect match - unfortunatly it was a small can and also my wifes :(

I got the keys from this guy in the states http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/keys4urride

They were listed for different bikes, but look for kawasaki blanks untill you find the one with the correct head.

Be careful that you get a right or left key to match you one - they can be offset to the right or left along the key.

Will look into the hammerite! Hmm Nice hammer finished calipers - maybe?? :lol:
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

I managed to get the frame to the welder to get the lockstop repaired and a couple of little bits patched up.

Rail under the seat had been badly worn by a fiberglass race tail unit, it wont be seen, but still I want to have it right.

After filing back and a rub of emery

Got the hole I made to repair the dented frame beam filled in

Went to my local old timer bike shop and picked up a few bits,
The proper rad cap, from a ZZR. The one with the lugs will not go on as it catches on a tab on the rad. Someone managed to get it onto the busted rad I have though.

Picked up the correct rear pegs too :D From a ZZR 1100 might make it go faster :lol:

It's slow going but getting there [-o<
pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie »

yo! just found that copy of performance bikes magazine, its from june 1991, they test the kr1-s, yam tzr 250, suzy rgv250, and for some inexplicable reason a yam rd350, they said it was to ride when the others became too uncomfortable :) after a search I found out that I have five mags I got for research from the time I bought my kr-1, the performance bikes june '91 a what bike? from july '89 a superbike from june '89 a motorcycle and workshop from may/june '89 and a motorcycle review mag from july/aug '89 not many of those publications exist today
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Loving this thread as Pandora looks worse than mine so gives me hope! Your doing a fantastic job mac!

Would love to read those magazine articles pookie - can they be scanned and posted on the forum?
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

DeadHammer wrote:Loving this thread as Pandora looks worse than mine so gives me hope! Your doing a fantastic job mac!

Would love to read those magazine articles pookie - can they be scanned and posted on the forum?
Go upto board index at the top of this page then down to Kr Kive you will see lots of old archieved roadtests and also sales brochures . Hope this helps

Steve
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Thanks Steve - on it now.. :-)
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

coming on nicely Dermot, good to see you're taking the time to get the detail right, top man! keep it coming!
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

Poor old Pandora has be left to one side for the last few months, I hope to get her moving again over the winter.

Just a quick alignment and lockstop check, nice to see her look like a bike.

Using an undamaged kr1 bottom yoke to set the lockstop. The kr1s bottom yoke had one of it's lockstop lugs bent back slightly, so I had it built up with weld rather than try to straighten it.
when the lockstop was filed back to it's correct shape the kr1s yoke was then shaped to match.

Need to figure out the budget and standard I want to achieve :?
philfingers
Heavy Smoker

Post by philfingers »

looks like you and I have the same issue, finally getting back to the KR after the summer
What's the Aprilia?
and a sulking 3MA in the back there =D>