Swamp Thing - KR1 Track Bike

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Swamp Thing - KR1 Track Bike

Post by Gerrit » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 am

As "Swamp Bike" is to be a track bike where 100% originality is (presumably) not an issue, wouldn't 1S wheels be a better choice as they have wider rims? They may also be easier to find than 1 wheels. Just a thought.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.

DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Good suggestion thanks Gerrit - and an option I still might go for but I'm a bit of a purist so, even though the bike is likely to see the track most of the time, I'd still like it to ride and handle like a KR1. It's for this reason I'm also putting KR1 cylinders on and in standard sizes. I may change my mind later (once I've ridden it) but for now I was going to try and keep it relatively standard. Either way the bike is likely to handle well enough for me and my abilities. :lol:

I do have a KR1S (with wheels) which I'm also restoring but I'm trying not to steal too much from it otherwise I'll never get that one done either..

James P
Heavy Smoker

Post by James P » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

If it is any help;

The wheels from a ZXR250 (1989 and 1990) are the same as KR-1S, so that may widen your scope if you decide to go that way.

I think the wheels from a ZX-4 (1988) are the same size as KR-1S (they used the same size tyres as KR-1S), but are 3-spoke like the KR-1 wheels. It is likely that they could be fitted without too much drama.

Regards,
James