Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

Post by Gerrit »

Why not paint the fairing orange to match the rest of the bodywork? It would look like the KTM 250 GP bike, which was also a parallel twin.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Gerrit wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 pm Why not paint the fairing orange to match the rest of the bodywork? It would look like the KTM 250 GP bike, which was also a parallel twin.
The problem will be getting a colour match. There's a bit of sparkly something in the orange, so whether it's late KTM orange I'm not sure. I have a 950 Adventure but it's predominantly blue with a bit of flat gloss orange, but maybe I should look a little closer...
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Johnfarley wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:58 pm Small video of her running hint hint bet she sounds awesome certainly looks cool
You asked.... 8)
Unsurprisingly, a camera on a phone makes it sound like a bag of hammers but it really doesn't sound that bad. The right-hand slide rattles a little and makes the most of the noise as the airbox is open with just the filter socks fitted. It's quite smoky as the chap I bought it from chucked 20:1 in it, but I'll be going 33:1 - I'm just trying to run it down ad far as possible before I put any more juice in it.

Socks!

Rolex
Heavy Smoker

Post by Rolex »

Cool video ๐Ÿ‘ bet thatโ€™s going to be fun on the road ๐Ÿ˜Š
Last edited by Rolex on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Ta! I'm looking forward to its first plug chop.... 8)

Which TT? I've been threatening to go to the Classic for years but so far haven't made it...
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Coose wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Socks!

those are bad for power, too much obstruction por power. it's like having a huge airbox but only using a small part of it.

once had similar on my ZZR600 engined ZXR400 .

Was on the dyno and power was a bit dissapointed, and when the dyno-guy saw them, he took them off and did a re-run, power was immediatly up to standard. was more than 10 BHP loss.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

For the sake of snipping off two tie-wraps I'm going to try it with and without. Any filter is going to cause a drop in airflow, but as I have them they're worth a try.

They're fitted right at the end of the inlet bellmouths intentionally to give as much filter area as possible. I'll let you know the outcome... ๐Ÿ‘
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Today's fun and games since work was postponed at the last second (oh the joys of being self-employed). A bit of sanding of the fairing, a couple of coats of primer filler, then about 5,000,000 coats of orange in three different shades until it looked about right and we now are about there!

The screen arrived yesterday, where although Replicast confirmed that it was one of their fairings and I should get the screen from Skidmarx, the fit is pretty awful but it's a screen on a bike that's destined for trackdays so it's not the end of the world.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the outcome, though it will probably turn old-skool H2R green and white at some point. 8)

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

well done, is there a belly pan?
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Cheers! 8)

I didn't get a belly pan with it, but I did get a new spare top fairing. I could probably get a belly pan but I quite like it without as the pipes look so nice!
Yesterday a couple of cans of 800degC clear lacquer turned up so I'll be chucking that at the pipes soon.
Rolex
Heavy Smoker

Post by Rolex »

Sounds good ๐Ÿ‘ the TT i was on about next year was the original not the classic the is 4 or 5 of us going so far ask Bernie for info.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

One thing I would recommend is to try the bike as it is and then change the front brakes to a single disc and caliper (fireblade). When I raced with the ZXR configuration in 2012 I found it too heavy compared to the standard and if anything had a slight adverse affect on my lap time from the previous year.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

They're CBR600 calipers on it already so I can easily take one off, and whoever fitted them kindly used two single lines. 8)
The feel as it is seems about right (master cylinder to calipers ratio) so I'll see how I get on.

But, the best brakes I've ever had were on my '94 TZ250. 300mm cast iron discs with 4-pot Nissin calipers. The power and feel was just lovely!

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

yeah that's the same front end as on my other KR race bike. I used a ZX6R nissin radial master cylinder and 280mm KR-1 discs.
Coose
Heavy Smoker

Post by Coose »

Not a good day today. MOT is booked for tomorrow, so tonight I was giving the bike a bit of a check over and was fiddling with the throttle cable where it enters the frame at the front with the engine running and it stopped dead. No spark.

I checked the coil and found an epic secondary resistance, so remade the plug cap connections and now have 6 Ohms with no caps, 15 Ohms with but still no spark. I've tested everything else which is all OK and have started to strip the loom back to check but have lost interest for tonight. Dagnabit.

I have an awful feeling that the dodgy HT connection has taken out the CDI, so once I'm happy that the loom is ok and I've tested my CDI in my chum Mark's KR1 and found that it's shot it may be time to order a Zeeltronic. But, Cadwell is looming...