Marmite

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
ARC76
Heavy Smoker

Post by ARC76 »

Very nice , does any one do or has any one done a carbon tank yet that would be awe 8) some
IF IT DOESNT MAKE IT FASTER LIGHTER STOP QUICKER OR BRING ME SEXUAL SATISFACTION IM NOT INTERESTED!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

ARC76 wrote:Very nice , does any one do or has any one done a carbon tank yet that would be awe 8) some
I remember reading through a post were a guy detailed how he went about makeing a CF tank for his bike. It looked awsome all right, but there was one thing that always bugged me about it. In an accident, a steel or even an alloy tank will deform on impact, absorbing a lot of the force before it fails. And even when it does fail it will likely only be a relatively small split or puncture. Unlike steel, carbon fibre dosn't have that give/elasticity, so once it reaches it's limit it will fail much more completely leaving the rider laying in or possibly even covered in fuel.
You could run a bladder inside the tank (at some considerable cost) that could solve this issue, but it's a lot of cash for the cool factor in this case.
The other options are to rap a standard tank in CF to give you the cool look at a much lower price, or you could go the extra mile and have an alloy tank made and fit a CF cover over it.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

[quote="headcoats"]Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mr HC
Iam thinking of changing the ride height on my Rgv/lc and wonder if you could you do me a favour [-o< and measure with your bike up right from the floor to the top bolt that holds the grab rail on,

Ernest borgnine.

Best film, The Vikings
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

ScottaKR wrote:
ARC76 wrote:. In an accident, a steel or even an alloy tank will deform on impact, absorbing a lot of the force before it fails. And even when it does fail it will likely only be a relatively small split or puncture. Unlike steel, carbon fibre dosn't have that give/elasticity, so once it reaches it's limit it will fail much more completely leaving the rider laying in or possibly even covered in fuel.
I's the same problem you used to get with fibreglass tanks in the 60's and early 70's. You could get some great race and road tanks and seat units which were fairly cheap to buy and looked great. But if you dropped a bike you could have major problems :( - They were eventually banned.

Not certain that cf would be a good material for a tank anyway as the trend for more and more ethanol in fuel (E5 soon to be E10 in UK normal unleaded) would probably wreck it in no time unless it was coated on the inside with an ethanol resistant sealant to keep the fuel away from the carbon.
1990 Kawasaki KR-1S c2, 1994 Ducati 916 s1, 2006 Ducati 1000 Sport
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I have a plastic tank on the Buell and it was fine until this ethanol was introduced into the petrol :x
It is bubbling left right and centre after being fine since 2001 :roll:

On the Buell site they are having alloy tanks made but at £800 :shock: :shock:

Was going to have a cover made in carbon and get that painted so the bubbling paint can carry on as you won't see it :P

There is a bloke with all carbon LC bodywork but he just had the original metal tank wrapped
Can it yer old boiler
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

headcoats wrote:I have a plastic tank on the Buell and it was fine until this ethanol was introduced into the petrol :x
It is bubbling left right and centre after being fine since 2001 :roll:
Same problem with the Ducati Sport like I have. That's a plastic tank and they are having problems in the US with tank spread through E10 which they have already use in their fuel.

E10 is being introduced in the UK allegedly some time this year replacing the E5 we currently have in normal unleaded so I have already changed to using super unleaded in all my bikes as it does not currently have any ethanol in it (unless you happen to live in the South West of the UK). It costs more but in the long run is a damn sight cheaper than replacing a tank, rubber hoses, carb or injector bits etc which were not designed to be ethanol resistant.

Bloody fuel suppliers won't even add it to fuel in their main storage/production facilities it is only added when it gets to the delivery tanker.

Stuff bio fuels, EU rulings and eco tw*ts, :twisted: bring back lead \:D/ did me no harm :? smoke the buggers out!!!!!!!!!!!
1990 Kawasaki KR-1S c2, 1994 Ducati 916 s1, 2006 Ducati 1000 Sport
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Marmite

Post by headcoats »

67.91bhp on the dyno today :P Let's call it 68bhp :lol:

All the gains came mostly from Kenny's TSA pipes

Main jet was too rich (152) so maybe another 1-2 bhp jetting down (150) but will leave it at that I think
Can it yer old boiler
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Not only does it look cool , its bloo..y powerfull!

Great looking bike , you must be chuffed
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

nice
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

It's making 60bhp at 9100rpm and the next 7bhp in the next 1100 revs
It was still gaining but told Kev not to rev it higher :shock:
35 ft pounds of torque from 7000rpm to peak too
Can it yer old boiler
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Fueling needs a bit of tweaking but feels great on the road
Can it yer old boiler
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

~original
One Gold wheel fitted and Grab rail removed :P

~original
Last edited by headcoats on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Can it yer old boiler
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

That torque curve is something else! It's as if you converted it into a 4-stroke lol.

Impressive stuff.

Dan
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

That's the powervalves doing their job then but it feels very torquey on the road and very grunty for such a small CC bike

Got some more barrels on now (same tuner but inlets and boost port opened up) and some Vforce 4 reeds (Slightly bigger than VForce 3's and reed stops return) so will be interesting to see if they have lost or gained on the dyno :-k

Can it yer old boiler
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

I'd go with gold wheels Heady 8)
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.