Just bought a KR1S

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
toby69
Light Smoker

Just bought a KR1S

Post by toby69 »

Hi, just bought a KR1S, been looking for a stroker of some sort for a while. Had planned to buy a new KR1S away back in 1990/91 but due to a bad accident I had to buy a car instead!!!! is it was up there in my short list.

Now I've got the bike home and had a quick look over it its going to need a few bits and probably a full engine rebuild before I use it properly.

Where is the best place to get parts from? and who is best for crank rebuilds etc?

here is a quick pic

Looks pretty good in the pics but I have already ordered a full decal set as it really could be doing with a full respray

Any help on where best to get stuff and anyone who re-manufactures parts would be great

Thanks
skidc2
Light Smoker

Re: Just bought a KR1S

Post by skidc2 »

Welcome aboard mate!
Congrats on buying my old bike h47 xew!try cradley kawasaki,cmsnl.com,for parts.
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Welcome to the site Toby, as above for parts, also look at KRKive above on the forums for downloadable manuals. Have you checked all the oils and fluids first . Give this a good checkover before riding it. These bikes maybe sports bikes of the 80's and 90's but they like good quality Oils and lubricants. Again look back in Engine on the forum to see recommendations.
Steve
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Welcome to the forum =D>

The easiest way to get an answer is just ask the question and post a photo. (we all love to see photos of KRs)

Reading some of the posts in the projects section will give you loads of information and tips, plus highlight some of the pitfalls (we have all done it, got right to the end and realised we have missed something out).

Cheers
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
toby69
Light Smoker

Post by toby69 »

Thanks for the welcome

It's quite a clean looking bike in the pictures, it has been restored before and not done much miles since. But looking closely and after stripping some bits off it does need a good bit of TLC

It's going to take me forever to read through everything on here! :lol: Lots of good info. I've never had any experience with A KR1 before, had many a 2 stroke 125 and a 350 YPVS for a long time many years ago and did most of the work on them myself.

Plan to do most of the stuff on the KR1 too, already downloaded the manuals and got a set of carb rubbers as the ones on the bike are really badly perished/split! I'd be surprised if they ain't sucking air in!! there was a few other things with it that has kind of put me off riding it till I get a full overhaul done on it. Although I might run it for a while and then do the work over winter. Will give me a better idea if there is anything else up with it!! And give me time to try and find bits I need. Already got a NOS part off e-bay I needed and thought I would never find :lol:

It needs a few cracks in the panels welded. A plastic welding kit has just arrived so will give that a bash and see how good it is, or even how good I am at it :lol: and then a full respray. Already got a decal set from 'Classic Reproductions' just trying to decide whether to go for the correct Kawasaki paint colours or use the various pearl & candy paints I have already as they are a pretty good match to what is already on the bike, whether that is correct Kawasaki colours or not I'm not sure!

Will maybe start a project thread once I get started on it!! Although that might be some time :lol: