coolant

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
pht9

coolant

Post by pht9 »

My C3 is depositing coolant out of the tank overflow pipe, a couple of questions if anyone can help

what is the correct routing for the overflow - mine is looped around under the seat from the left side and it exits right side just above the shock cannister (which then spits coolant over the right pipe and onto the back wheel)

my bike runs very cool, only see around a 1/4 of the way into the guage when pushed and it backs off a little when cruising

radiator feels hot as would expect all over

the coolant level is set perfectly at the max level, should I run it a bit less, maybe halfway between the two marks

...or possible head gasket on its way ?
pookie
Oil Injector

Re: coolant

Post by pookie »

Hi, my temparature gauge never creeps beyond the quarter mark on the dial either, I always keep the coolant level between the two marks on the expansion tank, and always use green coolant for topping up, if this pdf manual loads check out section 1 : 14 it shows the pipe routing.
http://www.characterdata.co.uk/KR1s%20M ... Manual.pdf
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

routing has no influence whatsoever for spitting-out coolant from the tank.
neither does the level of coolant in the tank, as that is all "spare". With the engine cold and nothing in the tank, you are still good to go : because of the heating, the volume of the coolant raises and the extra volume is temporarily dumped in the tank. when the engine cools again, the water is sucked back in..
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
pht9

Post by pht9 »

pookie wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:43 pm Hi, my temparature gauge never creeps beyond the quarter mark on the dial either, I always keep the coolant level between the two marks on the expansion tank, and always use green coolant for topping up, if this pdf manual loads check out section 1 : 14 it shows the pipe routing.
http://www.characterdata.co.uk/KR1s%20M ... Manual.pdf
cheers, thats really useful information

I'll try and run with a lower level and see if it helps
pht9

Post by pht9 »

early start, quiet roads ! - had a good run out this morning.
I dropped the tank level to midpoint (cold) and it ran perfectly

I also found the overflow hose was routed a little too low, so I ran it higher up the mudguard as per the factory picture

so, both little tweaks did the job - thanks for input 8)