CRANKCASE HALVES SEALANT TO USE??

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

CRANKCASE HALVES SEALANT TO USE??

Post by NOSHER »

hey guys well got the engine apart without any problems it wasn`t as complicated as the service manual makes it look but to be on the safe side i photographed every move i made in disassembling down to the crank.i also plastic bagged every part or sets i.e bolts with location info inside then i put the crank halves in the dishwasher and the bolts and small fasteners in a jizer bath and finally all the castings i pressure washed dried off and rebagged.
on checking out the crank the bearings rods and small end and big endbearings felt like new with no detectable (by feel and dial gauge) play but then it only had 9850 miles on it when i bought the bike 25 years ago and hasnt been ridden in all that time.
ahhh but then again-- the seals--you could flop them around on the crank surfaces left to right so i doubt if they were even mildly sealing on the shafts and there was a messy gritty black film like gravy on the oil seal areas for the seals so i guess sitting aroun for 25 years they had dried out and also begun crumbling and the lower crank case half was swimming in 2T oil on the left cyl and 20/50 on the right so my guess that it was sucking gearbox oil in through the rh crank seal was probably right.
Well all that is history so the reason for this post is can i use and is it suitable for sealing the crankcase halves LOCTITE FLANGE SEALANT 5699 GREY or has anyone on here used it?Today i went through a long telephone call process to Loctite Henkel to ask them the same question and finally got a prerecorded message that the technical motoring department was not available!!!!! didnt even say when or if it would be !!
considering you use probably 5 grammes of sealant on one surface only and a 100 gramme tube of yamabond is the best part of £40 and you`ll never use it again(not at my age anyway)i still got most of this 80 gramme loctite product which i paid £20 for some time ago and would like to use .ANYONE KNOW?
CRANK IS GOING OFF TO PJ ENGINEERING FOR A REBUILD AS I HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEIR KR1 CRANK WORK AND ALIGNMENT TOLERANCES
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30