Pump or pre mix

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Pwrnp31
lurker

Pump or pre mix

Post by Pwrnp31 »

I just got myself this bike, so now I'm wondering. I'm used to premix fuel with oil but this one has the seperate oil tank.

How trustable is this system? Or should I just shut it down, remove the system and premix myself?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Pump or pre mix

Post by Luders »

the pumps work fine in my experience, I only remove them for racing.
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Yes - it seems rare for people to report trouble with the oil pump. However, for peace of mind, I remove the pump and use pre-mix fuel & oil.

If there is any trouble with the pump or any of the oil delivery lines, you will unlikely realise until engine damage has occurred. With pre-mix, you can be sure that if the engine is running, it is getting oil! An added advantage (for me at least) is less 'plumbing' and less things to go wrong.

Regards,
James
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

premix is fine if you never run for longer than 1 fuel tank. for me it would be a no-go, as when I ride it, I ride all day.

the pump itself is VERY reliable, but I've had the plastic gear that drives it fail once. in 25 years ;-)
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

For street use plus perhaps the occasional track outing, the pump is fine and I wouldn't remove it. For pure track/race use, remove it. I'd only use the pump on a track/race bike if its engine has the Injectolube or similar system which feeds oil directly to the crankshaft main and big-end bearings as well as the intake tract.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

I ran my Rx-7 on premix its not really that much more bother - just carry sample size bottles that match your tank capacity.

while the KR pump is fine, unless you ring its neck a lot they can 'over oil' and build up in the exhausts.
For some people that's half the fun - nothing like dumping a huge KR cloud onto cars when the roads are clear.
I feel this can shorten the pistons life if its allowed to build up.

On the track where its used properly pipes can burn quite dry - so all the oil is being consumed
this seems to indicate... too much <> only enough depending on how you ride

If you do big rides you should carry oil anyway on a auto lube pump system.
the lube pipes are quite fragile esp. considering age - and what replacements is there?