KR1-R Modification

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Brock@BDK

KR1-R Modification

Post by Brock@BDK »

Hello folks,

There has been a lot of talk and requests vis-a-vis modification from KR1-S to KR1-R

Just to be clear the differences for the 'R' are the following:
Barrels very slightly different
Reed block insert different
Inlet manifolds different
35mm PWK carbs
Larger airbox rubbers
Larger fuel tap
Close ratio gearbox
Stickers
Paint

Well we're finally getting somewhere with the carb changes.
We have inlet manifold rubbers in production:
We have also been working on design of the airbox rubbers and are currently working on effectively printing sample rubbers with our 3D-printer.
Thirdly we have made matching inserts for the reed blocks to accommodate the larger carb diameter
Once complete we will be trying them out on a test bike we have here and playing with jetting and set-up of some carbs that we have selected for the task.
We will also run tests and jetting for the Airstriker PWK35's.
Please bear in mind that this testing is not an afternoon's work.
Besides changing slides, jets, lots of runs on the dyno and the like we will also need to remodel the airbox rubber and do the whole process again and again until we have what we see as a best result.

Finally might I remind you that there is an element of every bike being different.
Our test bike is fully standard.
We have a gentleman close to us with a set of JL pipes, increased airbox opening and F3 KIPS valves who intends us to make him a set with airstrikers which should give us an indication of set-up for those with JL's.

This is just a taster to let you know that we are committed to the project and well on the way with development - the point of no return has passed.
If you're interested in the projects or updates about it please feel free to drop me an email and I'll keep you up to speed when we get some worthwhile results.
All the best,
Brock
brock@bdkraceeng.co.uk
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Re: KR1-R Modification

Post by mellorp »

=D> \:D/
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Great to see innovation on our bikes , well done Brock
jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno »

Great post Brock : =D> =D>
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
Kr1s c2 black green
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

That brilliant, good luck with it all, I hope it turns in some profit for you as well.
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

Brilliant Brock, that's great :)

Few more differences than you list on the R but mostly cosmetic JDM items and not a concern for many wanting the S to R experience =D>
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Good effort. 3d printers are dead handy aren't they, I'm doing similar with an RGV and 3XV reed block at the moment.

Are you going to print the airbox rubbers with ninjaflex?

Dan
Brock@BDK

Post by Brock@BDK »

Thanks for the encouragement.
We too hope that there will be some money in it, although I'm not convinced - think it will take years to recover the cost of injection moulding so many parts.

Indeed we are trying to use Ninjaflex for the airbox rubbers. It's just about our first serious foray into Ninjaflex and if I'm honest the results have so far been pretty pants.
Lots of playing with feed speeds and temperatures as well as swapping between nozzles has not got us much past a glorified garter elastic so far. It keeps clogging or doing some other stupid thing. Our best results so far have been with the volcano nozzle but only for grommets and the like. If you have some formula which works well I'd be glad to hear it.

To be honest so far we've found it a useful design aid but perhaps the first thing we might actually make and use have been the reed block stuffers. Most of the time it serves to help us measure or test fit to ensure we haven't made some silly mistake. These airbox rubbers though could prove a real boon as there's no way we can mould four or five different sizes and test the effects economically.

It has started to pay for itself though in terms of making prototypes for other people who can't work their own printers.
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

I've not actually used Ninjaflex myself but I have looked into it for future reference. I found some info here when I looked:

https://talpadk.wordpress.com/2013/10/1 ... -filament/

Which 3d printer do you use? I have two Makerbot Replicator 2's and they have been pretty faultless so far. I have some of the setting files for printing ninjaflex for the makerbot if you use the same machine?

Dan
Brock@BDK

Post by Brock@BDK »

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the link.
His settings match our current settings very closely, but he did manage a complete object a bit taller than we have managed so far.
As for the model of 3D printer....it's a......black one?
Clearly reached the limits of my interest here.
Will let you know how we get on.
Brock@BDK

Post by Brock@BDK »

In case anyone missed it - this listing ends within 24 hrs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281869433495? ... .S1.R2.TR7
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Brock@BDK wrote:In case anyone missed it - this listing ends within 24 hrs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281869433495? ... .S1.R2.TR7
Reserve not met at £3,229.69
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

mellorp wrote:Reserve not met at £3,229.69
I didn't see 'reserve not met' but had noticed the first bidder was also the last, and only placed two bids :) was watching this end, as I thought it would go for a bit more, maybe it will be relisted ???
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

SP_BOTT wrote:
mellorp wrote:Reserve not met at £3,229.69
I didn't see 'reserve not met' but had noticed the first bidder was also the last, and only placed two bids :) was watching this end, as I thought it would go for a bit more, maybe it will be relisted ???

Always looks like a stich up when this happens ... Then again... I now know who has bought it. Which is
Brilliant as its an enthusiast :)
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

Yep. Same guy that sold you the nos red top fairing Shaun.
I spoke to him earlier,
And when he wants me to rebuild the engine, I promise to do a Portmap of the cylinders
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2