waterpump seal

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
splant
Heavy Smoker

waterpump seal

Post by splant »

Impellers off ,,the diaphram seal with spring pulled off,but left a thin metal bucket thing should this have stayed with the springtime seal? What next ? does the bearing pull out from behind or do I mangled the thin metal bucket out to press the bearing out from the front,? Cheers
James P
Oil Injector

Re: waterpump seal

Post by James P »

Yes, the diaphragm should have stayed with the "thin metal bucket thing". I'm not sure whether it is possible to successfully rejoin the two parts - you may be better off with a new mechanical seal assembly.

To remove the remaining parts: Heat the casing in an oven to 100-150 degrees C for about half an hour - the bearing should just fall out (if it doesn't, lightly hit the casing on a lump of wood to free it). With the outside of the casing adequately supported in a vice or press (take care to protect the pump housing gasket face), you should then be able to use the correct size large socket to carefully press out the oil seal and "thin metal bucket thing" from the inside.

When reassembling, make sure to leave the coolant drain passage open - don't block it with the oil seal. To do this, fit the bearing first (then allow the casing to cool if you heated it to fit the bearing), then push the oil seal all the way in against the bearing. Lastly, fit the mechanical seal assembly into its seat. I use a short piece of aluminium tube (ID 28.5, OD 31.5) in a vice to gently push the mechanical seal in without damaging it. When assembled, you should be able to check that the drain passage is clear by inserting a piece of wire (diameter 1mm or less) through the passage all the way to the centre of the shaft axis.

Regards,
James
splant
Heavy Smoker

Re: waterpump seal

Post by splant »

Thanks that's very thorough. I should be ok now.