Locking open the KIPS system ???

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
pauliboy
Smoker

Locking open the KIPS system ???

Post by pauliboy »

When turning on the ignition the power valves do a cycle but are they fully open before doing this ? I am trying to find a way of locking them open to experiment with for racing. After all they are not needed above 7000rpm and no more problems with broken linkages and expensive billet replacements !!!
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Locking open the KIPS system ???

Post by Luders »

Just flick the ignition on and off before they close, then disconnect the motor. Not sure why you would ever want to do this if you have a fully functioning mechanism.
pauliboy
Smoker

Post by pauliboy »

Hi Ben, yeah I know the KIPS system is there to assist a broad spread of power, especially low down (mainly beneficial to road riders) but in racing the tacho rarely drops below 7000rpm and apart from perhaps the odd hairpin or chicane the KIPS system isn't really needed. Its a case of eliminating further things from going wrong during a race, imagine if you were in a good battle and the kips linkage, rods or arms snapped or the kips motor played up with the valves partially or fully closed robbing you of top end power and revs !!! I've just had an outer arm on the linkage completely snap on me whilst just warming the bike up in the garage !! The linkage is subjected to a lot of stress/wear/vibration and I'm thinking of eliminating this happening to me whilst out on track by locking them open.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I tried doing a track day with the powervalves wide open and it was a pain in the arse and much slower as it wasn't possible to crack the power on at the apex and get a good drive out on some corners
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I don't think my valves open much below 8000rpm and like Scooble say's, it will probably make the bike more of a pain in the arse to ride, but give it a go.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

pauliboy wrote:I've just had an outer arm on the linkage completely snap on me whilst just warming the bike up in the garage !!
then you were probably using worn linkages. using any worn parts anywhere involves a risk .
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Professor
Heavy Smoker

Post by Professor »

Wise words Janbros! Bike performance works best when looked after not neglected

Also could be power valves stiff to turn and carbon'd up. Possibly bent or binding on head gasket. They should be free to revolve smoothly
Hardcore you know the score