gear box

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
slashing
Heavy Smoker

gear box

Post by slashing »

I have just but one of my kr1s back on the road i have noticed it is tight going through the gears. I have changed the clutch baskit an taken off the gear selector cover to check the selector drum bolt was not lose. when i drained the gear box oil i found a small particals of alloy in there. Could this be a worn selector fork?. If so i have a low mile gear box. Any help aprreciated.
jarno
Oil Injector

Re: gear box

Post by jarno »

never heard of a gearbox failing but everything is possible.

if you have got alloy in your oil maybee it is something else because the gearbox is not alloy also the selectorforks are steel as i can remember.

pull the gearbox it out and a look, i think thats the best option there is

Jarno
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
Kr1s c2 black green
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

You're correct Jarno, transmission is made from heat treated hardened steel and take a lot of punishment. I've never experienced "tightness" through the gears.
slashing
Heavy Smoker

Post by slashing »

Its going in to the local bike shop next week he thinks it might be a bearing breaking up i will keep you posted when i find out.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I had a gearbox fail on my once at Brands on the GP circuit as I came into Clearways into the pissing rain (on cut slicks), the gearbox exploded as I changed down to 4th locking the backwheel sending me sliding into the kitty litter!

However, if its hard to get in gear, then it could be the selector fork. KR1 forks were known to be a bit weak and were upgraded on the KR1S
slashing
Heavy Smoker

Post by slashing »

Gear box is sorted in my ignorense i left out the shim behind the clutch baskit