KIPS Valves Question.........

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
KRdum

KIPS Valves Question.........

Post by KRdum »

Alright all, a quick query,
whilst doing some winter maintenance on my KR1 B2 I had a look up the exhaust manifold to see what position the KIPS valves were in & if they were turning ok. I was a bit surprised to see that the far right one is about a third shut, in fact there all a little out of sequence I would say.
My question is: am I correct in saying that the two outside valves (leading to the resonating chambers) should be perfectly open & the two inside valves fully closed whilst the servo is in the closed position & vice versa when the servo is in the open position ?
If this is wrong, how big a difference will it be making to power ??
The reason I have the pipes off at the moment is because I feel it has been under powered this summer & thought maybe the pipes needed decoking as I bet they've never been done & with 25k on the clock thought this could be the problem but now after spotting this I suspect this definitely isn't helping matters !!
90 KR1S :P
90 ZXR750H2 :P
2012 Z1000SX :roll:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: KIPS Valves Question.........

Post by JanBros »

all 4 should be either open or closed.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

It would make a noticeable difference to power having misaligned power valves and I suspect that's the culprit of your suspicions. Sort that out and you'll be much happier with the bikes performance.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

(1)
a May 2014 >>> CMM article here <<< (right click and save as)
^^^ KIPS conundrum 1.6MB size

(2)

(3)
KR-1 Service Manual...
http://www.kr-1s.co.uk/manual/
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

"the pistons and head are ceramic coated"

:shock: :D

Im calling magazine BS on the ceramic head : not seen KIPS bushes either even though examples in UK, europe and OZ have turned up
Last edited by KR-1R on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRdum

Post by KRdum »

Thanks very much for swift replies.
Very helpful CMM article KR-1R.
I need to have a closer look into this, either I'm getting seriously confused at what I'm looking at or my KIPS valves are all over the place...... . .
I'm sure I'll have another stupid question before this is resolved as my brain starts to overload !!!
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Post a couple of photos, one showing the top of the head and positions of the pulleys, and two up the exhaust port shots, to show the position of the valves in relation to the ports.

Cheers,
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

They are quite simple to setup. The valve stems have flat spots on one side. These always face the way you insert the screw. Study the picture Danny posted, the valves are all in the closed position in this illustration. Once you have done that, flick the ignition quickly on, so the valves open and switch the ignition off, before they park back in their closed position. When you look up the exhaust ports, they should all be nicely lined up. Fine tune by using the cable adjusters next to the motor pully, if they do not all line up 100%
KRdum

Post by KRdum »

Thanks for the post Ludders, as soon as I get a couple of spare hours (looking like it'll not be till next Wednesday amidst the Xmas madness) I'm going to have a proper look at them & try to work out what's going on armed with my new knowledge.
If I'm still struggling with it all Bernie, I shall take some photos in the hope you all can guide me in the right direction.
I've had this bike for 6 years & gave it a top end re fresh when I initially bought it, I also have an S which has always gone considerable better (which I also gave a top end re fresh)
I've always put it down to the S being a better performing bike, i.e. different porting, pipes etc..
I'm now starting to wonder if the B2's KIPS valves have been wrong the whole time I've had it !!
How big a difference should there be between the two ??

Thanks again all.........
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I think it was about 10% power difference
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

KRdum wrote:How big a difference should there be between the two ??
normaly you wouldn't notice much without a direct comparison.

biggest diff should be above 10.000 rpm, as an S has much more overrev.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !