Best mods

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
DAMO666
Smoker

Best mods

Post by DAMO666 »

Just had my KR1S dynoed, the motor is standard but carefully rebuilt and the barrels skimmed to get correct squish, the airbox lid is lifted to compensate for the lost volume due to the fitment of an R6 rear shock. The motor made 56BHP at the wheel, which is quite good for standatd, the power curve drops of suddenly at 11400 RPM and was wondering if a small improvement could be gained from a programmable ignition? I'm also considering bigger carbs for a few more horsepower, maybe 35mm. Anyone any experience as to what works best?
1990 KR1S
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Best mods

Post by Luders »

A trick ignition and pipes will sort that out for sure. Getting the right pipes you may struggle with, unless you have some custom ones made. If you don't want to commission some custom pipes, stick with the stock ones, they aren't bad.
DAMO666
Smoker

Post by DAMO666 »

Are bigger carbs not worth the effort?
1990 KR1S
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

They are, but how much or far do you want to go with the bike? I would advise if you're getting a trick ignition, get one which can deal with TPS and powerjets and go for some later carbs than the likes of the stock PWK35's that everyone fits.
You can easily make carb rubbers up yourself to suit, I copied what the LC lads do on their bikes.
DAMO666
Smoker

Post by DAMO666 »

1990 KR1S
elegy

Post by elegy »

It's running weak you need to go up a jet size (not even a cold day so maybe two sizes to be safe).
3D ignition maps for TPS are a waste of time. Switchable powerjet or main emulsion tube air bleed solenoid control can give some benefit though.