Fitting the YFZ450 Radiator

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Fitting the YFZ450 Radiator

Post by 500bernie »

Its a lot bigger than the standard one, quite a few members have fitted them in various different ways.
This is how mine is fitted, it requires no modification of the fairings (it clears them internally).

This is the beast, they have over double the core thickness of a standard radiator.

Top fixing bracket, fits to the standard two mounting holes beneath the headstock.

Bottom fixing bracket, fits to the two standard mounting holes on the front of the head.

I got a replacement set of silicone hoses from Roose Motorsports and asked them to leave the ends long, I then cut them to size once the radiator was fitted in the final location.

These are the brackets.

Have fun!
Bernie 8)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Fitting the YFZ450 Radiator

Post by Gerrit »

Thanks for the drawings, Bernie! Will be very useful if I decide to use this rad for my project, though currently I'm considering an aftermarket KFX450 rad. By the way, unless I missed something you didn't specify the material thickness for the brackets- 4 mm????
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Fitting the YFZ450 Radiator

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Gerrit,
Well spotted, yes it was 4mm aluminium plate.
Very solid, with about 5 mm clearance either side at the bottom where the fairing narrows.

Iam waiting to see the next bit of progress on your project. I like the rear brake carrier and the idea of dumping the torque arm (as it is very close to my tyre).

Cheers
Bernie 8)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300