touch up/paint

Plastic bits and Paint
blueshockwave
Smoker

touch up/paint

Post by blueshockwave »

worth having a look at this if you need some paint touch up...... www.rsbikepaint.com
shock wave of blue smoke!
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

That is excellent
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re:

Post by SP_BOTT »

tescr500 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0720866875

this is where i got mine from
Thats where I was going to get some, does it matter if the finish is gloss or matt, as I was going to lacquer over the top. Using aerosols in my case.

I'm going to re-do a seat hump, and not sure whether to laquer over the decal or do it before applying the number boards (fleabay)? Didn't think these later non genuine decals are suitable to leave unprotected like they did from the factory??
tescr500
Oil Injector

Re: touch up/paint

Post by tescr500 »

Hi SP, well funny you should say that I'm just spraying my fuel tank, also have some cheaper decals and not sure to lacquer or not, but tempted to as being fuel tank. As for the rest its just painted flattened and polished. I'm leaving the decals not lacquered on plastics as I don't know how they will react to lacquer, basically fuel tank is easy to prep being metal, you can use paint stripper if it goes all wrong :lol: . When it comes to lacquer I'm not sure if paint is flattened back then lacquered or straight on gloss finish, I'll do some research or you can and see what we reveal, or somebody will know I'm sure cheers Wayne. :lol: :lol:
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi, I've just finished my last bike, and did a fuel tank for the first time, all done with aerosols and sprayed in the garden a few weeks ago in the sun :) Came out really well as far as I'm concerned.

Flatted it back to get rid of the stripe edges (very carefully) lacquered over the stripes and edges a couple of times, and then did about four coats to finish, I put the decals on after the first light coat (advised to do this elsewhere, but don't know the reason why?)

I used 2K in a can, but did have some breathing/filter equipment, on the other panels and mudguard I used Pro XL petrol resistand lacquer, and the finish was superb just from the can (didn't even need a flat/polish)

Tank..., as you can see, it's got a bit of orange peel, it needs a flat back and cut with a machine to finally finish, it's not perfect, but saved me about £400+ for someone else to do the job :)
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

Very nice job, got any side pictures
Ernest borgnine.

Best film, The Vikings
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

yes hundreds as normal.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

yes hundreds as normal.

Kneewall49
Light Smoker

Post by Kneewall49 »

That does look sweet. I know photos can come up better that reality but looks good.

I'm about to embark on my first whole bike reprint on an NSR, before I get onto my KR1S. Can you take photos of the cans of paint you used?

I'm down in Oz, but if I can see the details of the paint I may be able to find some other brand of a similar recipe?

I want a very good job, paying a pro is the best but it is a big chunk for these types of bikes.

Thanks neil
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

TBH the white and metallic purple were plasti-kote from a local cheapo store, and I don't really know what paint it was (assume it's acrylic whatever that means), and for the pink, I got it from the local paint supplier (ie a bodyshop supplier to the trade)

For laquer on the panels, I used pro Xl petrol proof, and the tank I coated with the bodyshops own 2K mix that they did for me in a couple of aerosol cans. The only reason I used this was the rubbish selection of paint Id used for the tank, so decided to use what the pro's use, albeit ready mixed.

Lacquer..
Used this for the first coat or two
http://www.capellasolutionsgroup.com/pr ... PRO2KCLEAR

and then the 2K paintshop stuff, as this didn't last that long (only 200ml)
Got to use breathing equipment as it used isocyanite as the activator

Used this on the panels and mudguard (says petrol proof on the can)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerosol-Pro-1 ... 439636501a
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

well here is my effort for last weekend, bloody nice tank you have done there though, great job.

Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Marty_Rillo »

Hi there everyone!!
I have been doing a small bit of paint searching.
I used a chroma vision sampler to see what the computer database would come up with colour matching to modern colours, and here are two colours that are very very close.
These can be mixed in water base, or in traditional basecoat.
This is for a red and grey kr1s.
The red is a Citroen colour. It's code is KKN the colour name is rouge aden.
The grey is a BMW bikes met grey. The code is 993.
Both are very good matches, but the red is particularly good.
Once it's on I have some spare original red to compare it too and I will say how close the shades are.
Cheers Martin.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Martin,
Is the red/grey available in 400ml rattle cans?
Cheers
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Marty_Rillo »

I suppose so.
If any paint suppliers in your area can mix basecoat and put it in a can for you then the colour codes can just be given to them and they should be able to do it.
I am getting some mixed up by nu agane body shop supplies and once I spray and compare then I will let everyone know!!
We use water based standox where I work, and to really bring the plastics back to life then a thicker base coat is needed!
Cheers Martin.