Plastic welding

Plastic bits and Paint
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

i have a brken ear will have to be done but hopefully go ok fingers crossed and tab on rear unit
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hey Howie, seeing as you are now our "Resident plastic welder" can I book my Rayban's in as I broke them in half on my hols
:lol: Sorry I've only just progressed to Oakleys.

This first pic shows a mend to the airbox from my Ke175, the hole was caused by the exhaust burning a hole in it (about the size of a 20p)

This was done by bridging the hole using the plastic rod. Tack to one side then tack to the other. Once I had covered the hole with the rod, I melted them all together, not pretty but effective.

The next pic shows a repair to my Kx250's airbox

Once again, not pretty :lol: This was just a split. The plastic on this part of the airbox is very thin, so I'm not going to dress this weld either.

Here's the ear

This ear has fallen off once but now feels strong. Stronger than the fibre glass repair done by a previous owner. This will need grinding down & filling before repainting. Just need to find a good flexible filler now, any suggestions?

Finally here are some of the stuff you need.....

I also have spring clips to hold things in place & a dremel type tool to grind back the excess weld.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Well done Howie =D> =D> =D>

I feel inspired [-o<
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Best to just get stuck in Bernie.

I practised on a few old crappy fairings first, just to get a feel for it. Then thought 'bugger it' learn from your mistakes & all that.

Obviously I'm no expert regardless of what twostrokesmoker thinks :lol: but I think with more practice I could get a better finish.

I'm not sure what the technical term is but if you 'pool' the plastic (swirl it about with the soldering iron) you seem to get a better 'fix' to the original plastic.

I've got another weld to do on the Ke175's plastic. If I remember I'll do it stage by stage & post the pics on here.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Plastic welding with Hot Stapler

Post by KR-1R »

so a month or two back saw on aliexpress Hot Staplers
These have probably been in the bumper repair industry for years :| :oops:
but could increase crack repair strength without requiring full penetration hot air plastic welding skills

A trimmable wire insert is halfway melted through/into the plastic thickness to lock together the halves of a crack.
The tails of the wire insert is trimmed back and filler applied

Kits for not much more dollars than traditional solder iron

plenty example videos on youtube

https://youtu.be/1VN6lxdC9LY

https://youtu.be/ig9FAdMZ8Xk

the V shaped hot knife blade is then be used to melt ABS filler rod to fill the crevice left by the insert

Frunobulax
Light Smoker

Re: Plastic welding

Post by Frunobulax »

Thanks for sharing, this looks very easy to use. I'll try this.