Petrol Tank KR250 query

Plastic bits and Paint
Whaka_man

Petrol Tank KR250 query

Post by Whaka_man »

I have a KR250 that I have no keys for. The petrol tank has allen key screws that hold the petrol cap on. I have undone the screws but still cant remove the top of the tank.

Is there something that I need to do or does it have to have the key to remove the petrol cap and surrounding guard.

I am aware that I will need a key for the ignition and tank. I will have to remove the cap as It needs to be replaced , I have a spare fuel tank which has had the tumbler removed and also the other tank is in better order.

would be glad to hear of a remedy

Rob
Rob Abbott
Perth Western Australia
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

hi mate most tank caps have to have the cap open to remove them as the locking catch holds it down, as well as a small screw, that you will see once it is open.
if i do not have a key i usually just drill down to the depth of the tumbler and the all the pins are free to move so you can open it with a screwdriver..
OR
a good locksmith can cut a key from the lock so if it is the same key as the ignition you can remove the ignition and take it to a locksmith..
hope this helps..
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
Whaka_man

petrol tank

Post by Whaka_man »

appreciate the reply, I did drill out the old tank but will have to get a key cut, thanks for confirming that the tank cap has to be open to remove it.
Rob
Rob Abbott
Perth Western Australia
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

have a look at the ignition barrel if you've got one, there is sometimes a number on there that coresponds to the key and you can get one cut from the number
Falcon911
Light Smoker

Post by Falcon911 »

Hi All,

I have just purchased a KR-1 and have a similar problem - I dont have the key for the petrol tank cap. Can the barrel be replaced or do I have to replace the whole unit? If so where can you recommend I get one? I am assuming the genuine Kawasaki one will cost a fortune (if they are still available)?
Would be nice to have the same key for the ignition and tank - what have others done?

Many thanks
Andy
salty
Heavy Smoker

Post by salty »

I have bought 2 complete locksets from Ebay (tank, ignition & rear seat) both were £35 - I may have a partial set (tank & ignition) in the garage - I bought a new tank today that has a key - dont need the cap or key, bit stiff at the moment but WD40 should shift it - once it warms up I will see what I have and send it on for a notional fee - £5 for tank £10 for tank + ignition

Salty
Falcon911
Light Smoker

Post by Falcon911 »

salty wrote:I have bought 2 complete locksets from Ebay (tank, ignition & rear seat) both were £35 - I may have a partial set (tank & ignition) in the garage - I bought a new tank today that has a key - dont need the cap or key, bit stiff at the moment but WD40 should shift it - once it warms up I will see what I have and send it on for a notional fee - £5 for tank £10 for tank + ignition

Salty
Hi Salty,

Many thanks, that would be great.

Cheers
Andy
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

in the late 80's-90's, Kawasaki put the same petrol cap on about every bike they had, so you can buy any second hand from a ZZR/ZXR/GTR/GPZ/GPX...

there are 2 types, depending on the key, so look out for one that has a barrel where your key fits in, and then either change the pins in the ignition switch or petrol cap to have 1 key for the whole bike.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Falcon911
Light Smoker

Post by Falcon911 »

JanBros wrote:in the late 80's-90's, Kawasaki put the same petrol cap on about every bike they had, so you can buy any second hand from a ZZR/ZXR/GTR/GPZ/GPX...

there are 2 types, depending on the key, so look out for one that has a barrel where your key fits in, and then either change the pins in the ignition switch or petrol cap to have 1 key for the whole bike.
Thanks for the reply and the info. Sorry I am sure I being a bit thick but I am not entirely sure what I need to look for or know what you are talking about when you mention the 'pins '?
salty
Heavy Smoker

Post by salty »

Taken the cap off the new tank, the lock works fine with an original kawasaki key - pm your address and I will post monday. If you like it paypal me a fiver to cover post

Salty
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Falcon911 wrote: I am not entirely sure what I need to look for or know what you are talking about when you mention the 'pins '?
the small sliding parts inside the barrel that have to match to the key for the barrel to be able to turn :wink:

if you don't understand, your locksmith will :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

JanBros wrote:
Falcon911 wrote: I am not entirely sure what I need to look for or know what you are talking about when you mention the 'pins '?
the small sliding parts inside the barrel that have to match to the key for the barrel to be able to turn :wink:

Sorry not the best picture as the light not good in the shed today..
You match up the little brass pins that fit to the key profile. I've done this a few times - its a very fiddly job but not too difficult if your careful. Each brass pin springs out as you remove the key. Match up so they are flush to the barrel when the key is fully inserted (or remove the offending one... but of course that compromises security).

The only thing that stops you doing this is having a barrel and key that's the same handed for each lock. IE some keys are right handed and some left handed. You ideally need all of them RH or LH to easily make a suite.

Phew.. Sounds confusing but its not really once you take them to bits.
Hope it helps

If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
Falcon911
Light Smoker

Post by Falcon911 »

salty wrote:Taken the cap off the new tank, the lock works fine with an original kawasaki key - pm your address and I will post monday. If you like it paypal me a fiver to cover post

Salty
Pm sent - I think! Not sure it went from my phone?
Falcon911
Light Smoker

Post by Falcon911 »

Top-shaggy wrote:
JanBros wrote:

Sorry not the best picture as the light not good in the shed today..
You match up the little brass pins that fit to the key profile. I've done this a few times - its a very fiddly job but not too difficult if your careful. Each brass pin springs out as you remove the key. Match up so they are flush to the barrel when the key is fully inserted (or remove the offending one... but of course that compromises security).
The only thing that stops you doing this is having a barrel and key that's the same handed for each lock. IE some keys are right handed and some left handed. You ideally need all of them RH or LH to easily make a suite.

Phew.. Sounds confusing but its not really once you take them to bits.
Hope it helps
It does help. Cheers for taking the time. Excellent forum this!

Falcon911
Light Smoker

Thanks

Post by Falcon911 »

A big personal thanks to Salty who true to his word sent me the fuel cap for my bike. I am more than impressed already with the knowledge and helpfulness of the members. Top Man Salty!