Top fairing! Buying from Japan.

Plastic bits and Paint
Paul250B

Top fairing! Buying from Japan.

Post by Paul250B » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:55 pm

So earlier this week I managed to buy a complete (bar the front muddy) plastic set for a shade over £400, granted the plastics are in Japan and I have further costs to be met in shipping, however this is the second top fairing I’ve seen for sale in Japan in 3 weeks, the last one was just the top fairing and made £180.
The one I’ve bought has one small crack at the top fair bolt hole (to frame stay) which Bernie tells me he can repair no problem and one side panel lug missing, otherwise it looks remarkably clean, and comes with headlamp, indicators, screen and the black screen trim.
I’ll update this post with the full costs once known as I’m sure many of you will keen to know how this pans out.

Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Re: Top fairing! Buying from Japan.

Post by Gerrit » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Postage is one thing- HM Customs demanding their hundredweight of flesh quite another!
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.

Paul250B

Post by Paul250B » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:28 am

If I’ve understood correctly 2.5% custom duty, then vat.

StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 am

I've bought a fair few bike parts from Japan over the years, shipping has always been quick and hassle-free. Costs can soon mount up though : purchase price, buying fees, domestic shipping, currency conversion, international shipping, import duty plus the fee for ParcelFarce to administer it. Clever buying can minimise costs by combining items together.

I've often been lucky with packages from Japan, they've not always been hit with import duty, unlike those from the USA which get hit every time. Probably depends on how overwhelmed/bored ParcelFarce are that day. Sometimes the fee gets applied before you receive your package, sometimes you get an invoice afterwards.

Good luck !
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.

Paul250B

Post by Paul250B » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:18 pm

StrokerBoy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 am
I've bought a fair few bike parts from Japan over the years, shipping has always been quick and hassle-free. Costs can soon mount up though : purchase price, buying fees, domestic shipping, currency conversion, international shipping, import duty plus the fee for ParcelFarce to administer it. Clever buying can minimise costs by combining items together.

I've often been lucky with packages from Japan, they've not always been hit with import duty, unlike those from the USA which get hit every time. Probably depends on how overwhelmed/bored ParcelFarce are that day. Sometimes the fee gets applied before you receive your package, sometimes you get an invoice afterwards.

Good luck !
Thank you!

KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:21 pm

How did you go. Given size, and flight restrictions not a good time to require air services

ExpressMailService
Length under 1.5m;
Length + girth under 3 m (L + 2W + 2H)

Likely to exceed 3m leaving only DHL or FedEx as carriers
I havent used UGX but would expect its probably at courier pricing

Estimated shipping cost
Oversea shipping
※Available shipping methods
FedEx Intl. Priority 104,860 yen

£785 ? + 400 x 20% = £1,422

I couldnt get a belly pan out of Australia because of their postal size limit
Eventually bought back from friends house in Brisbane as luggage (sporting goods excess baggage £20)

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:21 am

I've bought quite a few faings, tanks and panels from Miyabee? and never had any extra costs attached over the purchase price, and they always came through via the post office/parcelfoce as the final carrier. Also found most bodywork from Japan is usually sun faded as it all stands outside apparently. space is a premium and not to be wasted on garages :)