two stroke racing

Tell us how to beat Rossi!
wrench
lurker

two stroke racing

Post by wrench »

i have always ridden 4 strokers does anybody have any tips or advice in the differences i will experience racing my KR1s since i will be dealing with little torque, to name just one difference.
aj
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

i think u find that a standard KR1-S generates more peak torque than say a ZXR400

well at least on the dyno graph i saw in a magazine once
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

The main difference you will notice is the lack of engine braking, when you lift off they just keep going!
No need for an expensive slipper clutch, put the money towards expensive 2 stroke oil!

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
custard

Post by custard »

Luckily you've chosen to race one of the few 2 strokes with a bit of mid range power!

Yeah definitely buy high quality oil and brake pads :wink:

Also you must really keep on top of replacing your pistons every 3 or 4 meetings, depending on how many laps your races are. If you don't, it can get pretty expensive when it throws circlips into the barrels etc.

The KR-1S is a great bike for getting off the line as well. I don't know if this is the same for all KR-1S' but I regularly led a pack of 600's into the first corner when I ran in the Rookie races at BEMSEE in 98. Just before the lights changed I used to be able to hold the revs at around 6000rpm, maybe just slightly below, and then feed the clutch in, not too suddenly or you'll get airborn, but quite quickly with plenty of slip. You'll find yourself flying from row 4 to the front in no time. I'd see if you can find somewhere to practice this method, building up to it, you don't want any nasty airborne surprises in your first race on it.

I scared the crap out of myself the first time I got this right at Cadwell, knowing that I had a pack of hungry 600s with nearly twice the bhp waiting to annihilate me down Park Straight! :shock: Being the first one into Paddock at Brands Hatch is quite daunting too!
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

my claim to fame was leading for half a lap on the Brands GP circuit for the Champion of Brands (600 open). shot to the front whilst the others were having a bun fight.

The most memorable one was watching a novice race at Pembrey (1300 open). All the bikes had assembled on the grid and were ready to go, when one TZR250 emergerd from the pits half a lap behind the start line and proceeded flat out towards the start liine, when the lights whent green, the TZR was already flat out in 6th and shot past the entire field just as they were pulling away and led for one and a half laps. =D>