rear wheel

Tell us how to beat Rossi!
wrench
lurker

rear wheel

Post by wrench »

hello, this is my first post. I am being shipped a race ready 1991 KR1s from Ireland! It should arive in NYC in 3 weeks. I am super stoked! I have been reading this message board for a couple weeks and I really enjoy it seeing as there are no US based forums (assuming that is because they are not too legal in the states) and you guys know your stuff. Anyways, down to business..
I am swapping out my rear wheel down to a 17 inch. It will allow me to have a wider selection of the tires i like to run and better traction i believe. Just wanted to hear some point of views on this from people who have tried this. :mrgreen:
also i plan on running a 110/70/17 and a 160/60/17 pirelli diablo rosso any objections?
aj
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

I don't think you will get a 160 rear tyre in the standard swing arm, 150 seems about the limit.
The 17" wheel lowers the ride height a bit so fit different dog bones or a longer shock (06 R6 shock is a popular mod) to get the geometry right again.
Have fun,

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

160/60 might go in, I thinck it depends from brand/tyre ? I've got a Bandit400 wheel in one with a 160/60 Pilot Power on it :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
wrench
lurker

Post by wrench »

thank you so much for all the info. I think i will leave the wheels stock first to see how it feels. play around with some swingarm ideas and the 06 R6 rear shock idea as well! im just so amped about the bike =P~ i guess i need to wait til it arrives so i can put my hands on it and toy with some ideas!
aj
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

An RGV VJ22 rear wheel fits well just needing new spacers makeing. A 160 tyre fits with out problem but you have to put a slight kink into the rear brake torque arm to clean the tyre.

The new rear suspension dogbones need to be 6mm longer to compensate for the losss of ride height.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Hi wrench, try the Dunlop alphas I use a 150 rear with standard kr1s wheels & the R6 rear suspension unit, havent had any problems with grip so far [-o< :mrgreen:
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
custard

Post by custard »

kwackman12 wrote:R6 rear suspension unit, havent had any problems with grip so far [-o< :mrgreen:
Hmm interesting, I'll have to check on the racing regs to see if I can use the R6 unit.
wrench
lurker

Post by wrench »

with the 06 R6 rear shock or the whole sub frame?
aj
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

wrench wrote:with the 06 R6 rear shock or the whole sub frame?
Just the shock, needs the top bush altering to the same size as the kwak one. Plus your airbox will need modding to allow the r6 'piggyback' reservoir to fit.
rvt2002
Light Smoker

Post by rvt2002 »

I think you can still fit a race/track tire 140/70/18 using bridgestone bt090. Stickyboy still sells them.