rookie lap times, cadwell?????

Tell us how to beat Rossi!
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

rookie lap times, cadwell?????

Post by mgtkr1 »

just intrested to find out your first ever lap times round cadwell folks! what was your first race times and last race, in comparison. mainly intrested to hear your times when you first started on track, especially cadwell? thanks in advance, matt
THE FLUTE
Heavy Smoker

Post by THE FLUTE »

When i first went there on my R6 i was doing 1.54 on trackdays Got that down to a 1.43 doing trackdays again Then i started racing i have now got to a 1.39 on my 04 R6 i have just got an R1 for this season and i am hoping to get into the 36,s but we will have to see Hardest part about riding it is steering it when the front wheel is pointing to the sky ](*,)
Derby Phoenix MCC F600 Novice Champion 2006
2009 F1 British Championship Sidecar Passenger
5th 2011 British Championship F1 sidecar
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Matt - Cadwell is a circuit where you will be 20 seconds off the pace when you start.

On a F250/F400 getting down to 1'45" is fairly easy after that it gets more difficult - going sub 1'40" is very difficult
THE FLUTE
Heavy Smoker

Post by THE FLUTE »

Thought the Elf would have posted on here by now????
Derby Phoenix MCC F600 Novice Champion 2006
2009 F1 British Championship Sidecar Passenger
5th 2011 British Championship F1 sidecar
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I would have done but I didn't want to embrasses myself :lol: :lol: :lol: .

First time round cadwell, on my first every trackday IIRC I think I struggled to get down to about 2:20 but did manage to get my knee down for the first time in my life. :lol:

Faster ever lap time was on my old ZX10R which was a 1:43 (using the built in manual laptimer so not 100% accurate as I always got a tank slapper at the bottom of the hill on the exit from barn. Reckon I could easily beat that now if I was to climb back on to the same bike again.

When I got bored of 1000cc four strokes I started using the KR and found I couldn't ride it :oops: . I'd got so used to point and squirt on the big thou that I was doing the same on the KR. Took me a year to relearn how to ride a two stroke again.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

so what was your fastest lap on the kr then?
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

mr_bungholeo wrote:so what was your fastest lap on the kr then?
Umm good question I'll need to check but from memory race times was at best a 1:53 (with a knacked HT coil). Overall best is a 1:48 on a trackday which just goes to prove how crap my race craft is. :lol: I need to get better at that overtaking lark and not just sit there following other people around, while admiring the view :lol: :lol:.

If I can afford the track time this year and the bike dosn't let me down too often, I want to get under 1:45 and stay there. :)
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

phew, i didnt do too badly then! first evwer time on any race track, no trackdays or anything, just illegally bombin roun my local roads(out in the sticks) on my yamagamma(no lights in track mode) and the kr i race now. dont even hold a road licence, just a cbt which i used my hongdou rip off cg125 with! have ridden bikes more than half my life though ranging from crossers to highly strung/very much not street legal strokers. not proud but didnt have pennys for a licence at the time and stayed away from busy traffic, wouldnt do it now of course unless im running new rings in etc. anyway i got down to a 2m9sec at cadwell on a bike with a cracking motor and appauling suspension setup. basically everything bar the motor was rubbish, this taught me a lot about bike preparation for racing. chassis is way more iomportant than a missile motor. that meeting was a one day meet and crashed in practice on the first lap so nil practice!determined to crack the sub 1m50's toward the end of the coming year. will have a sorted bike this time! \:D/
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Mat

Cadwell takes a lot of learning and is the most technical track in the UK. Its good for setting a bike up as it has something of everything. You really need a trackday or two there to really learn the track. It's not just where you'r going but the spots were you can do that last min overtake.

At cadders the corners flow into each other so a position on the outside of someone into a corner could well put you right on the inside into the next and in control for the overtake without even trying. A Classic example of this is to set someone up into Coppice to pass them into charlie's 1. You then control the position though Charlie's 2 and have the run into Park straight.

Next year you'll have to do a few trackday with me and we'll see if we can pull you along a bit and knock some more seconds of that lap time.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
bikejourno

Post by bikejourno »

while i agree that Cadwell takes a bit of learning i wouldn't say it was too technical especially compared to Donington or Oulton
more a case of keeping your momentum and getting on with it

for me the only bit that need a bit of local knowledge is the woodlands section as over the crest it is blind so you need to aim for fresh air
also there is a superb "local" line into the goose neck that takes a bit of learning but i guess you wont be bothered with that mallarky on a track day

i always say at Cadwell you can cock up a corner or three and still put in a cracking time but try that a Donington and you have to wait till the next lap to have another go
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Donnington and Oulton are easier to learn IMHO. Trouble with donnington is that its even more slippier than a labour politition :D and the extention to the national is a carpark curcuit. Oulton is great but I prefer Cadders as its got more blind corners than your local super market dash :D , and it takes a lot of balls to ride quick. Brands Indy is another great track as well.

My top three are:
Cadwell
Oulton
Brands Indy

But thats just my opinion :mrgreen:
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by: