rev counter and Horn

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
will77
Heavy Smoker

rev counter and Horn

Post by will77 »

right guys, i have spent 8 hours today trying to sort my rev counter and horn, the last jobs before the MOT and Still not fixed

Horn, Bought a Brand new one and No joys...Question, is it a case of Live and Earth? i'm no electrician and i am struggling!! I have a Black / white and a Solid Brown wire is that right?

also, the rev counter- not working so changed the Rev counter for 3 differnent ones and not one works - change the Regulator under the tank and changed the Fuse box and changed the CDI unit under the seat and getting 14v from the bike so i know all that working Fine. Still no Joy. Any ideas and its not linked to horn is it?? All Got 14v going to the brown plus on rev counter so wiring looks good too

- i had to park up tonight or i was going to throw it down the workshop so i've come indoors for a Beer :cry: :cry:
New to Forum, restoring a KR1...or should i say building from scratch
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Check the front harness for dirty/corroded terminals. The horn could be faulty switchgear as well.
Also, to check the reg in operation you need to slowly bring the revs up while monitoring with a meter and make sure that the voltage dosn't go too high. Voltage should steadily rise with the revs then level out. I can't remember of the top of my head what it should max out at, but it should be in the manual.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
will77
Heavy Smoker

Post by will77 »

thanks scott, i will check this
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Will do you have the manual with the wiring diagram in, as the colours change on either side of the switch? Im also no electrician so excuse stating obvious.
Steve
will77
Heavy Smoker

Post by will77 »

hi steve

i've fixed the horn, the wiring had a break further down the loom, that took some finding - another 4 hours on that one. Just the Rev counter not working now.

think i might have to get another rev counter from somewhere, as i dont know if the 3 i have work.. arghhh!!