Lost all Electrics!

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Lost all Electrics!

Post by WightWizard »

Hi Guys,

I was out on my standard KR1 B2 today, it's totally bog stock apart from a battery eliminator which has been on it for about 2 1/2 years now. I had just warmed the bike up and was about to wind her up, at 7000 revs the bike just cut completely like I'd hit the kill switch but the rev counter immediately went to zero. I kicked her maybe 20 times and then coasted home (I was at the top of the hill and home is halfway down the hill; jammie or what?).

When I got back I noticed that there appeared to be oily water on the chain guard, I whipped the seat off to find the battery eliminator had swollen and sweated out this watery/oily stuff. no problem I thought I'll just bung a battery back on (I have several bikes and some have the same battery as the KR1, battery is in good condition and fully charged). When I put the battery on and turned the key on (& kill switch) I have absolutely no life at all in the bike. I checked the fuses and loom, fuses ok, no indication of a problem with the loom.

Could this be the regulator/rectifier at fault? Or maybe a fried stator?

I'm not very clever at electrics so can anybody help?

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.

Ps. I'm glad the battery eliminator didn't go bang, I saw one go several years ago and apart from blowing half the seat and the side panel off it burnt the wall from floor to ceiling, I was sat on that today and I can think of easier ways to remove hair than this! Ooer. :shock:
Last edited by WightWizard on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I hold it a millisecond longer I'll get it back, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground.....
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Lost all Electrics!

Post by WightWizard »

Aha!

This link looks like just the same-ish as what I'm struggling with:

viewtopic.php?t=1992&sid=189aef3a2d90c6 ... 9a2d65dd22

Anybody?....

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.
If I hold it a millisecond longer I'll get it back, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground.....
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

If I were you Darren, I would replace reg/rec & CDI with ones known to work (I'm sure you'll have one or two laying around :lol: ) & see what happens.

Then whittle it down from there. I've never had a bike with a battery eliminator, so cannot help with that.

May be the stator :-k

With the ignition on, do the neutral/oil lamps light up when you kick it over?
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Post by WightWizard »

Hi Howie,

Thanks for your reply.

With the ignition on, do the neutral/oil lamps light up when you kick it over?[/quote]

Er no, nothing at all....

I'm gonna replace the reg/rect now, if that doesn't work the CDI (mainly 'cos it's easy to do) then have a look at stator.....

Fingers crossed!

It's frustrating 'cos she hasn't missed a beat for over two years now. oh well could be worse.

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Sounds like your on the right track with the rec/reg and cdi Darren.
Soundfs like the eliminator left a nasty little mess. :roll:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

don't forget to check the diodes, next to the blink-relay :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !