NO SPARKS

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

RECTIFIER OUTPUT TESTING

Post by NOSHER »

Hi fellas--How do i test the output of my rectifier to make sure its not "outvoltaging"my cdi unit--does the output go directly to the cdi unit?if so which output wires from the rectifier do i test for voltage?[/b]
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

just put a volt meter on your battery and start the engine. You should never read more than about 14.4V when revving enough. at idle it'll probably show only +/- 12V and that will increase with the rev's.

but be careful : if you really doubt the rectifier, it only takes a couple of seconds to burn your CDI :idea: slowly rev higher with short burst and carefully watch the readings :!:

you can also test it like in the manual, but it's a bit difficult as you need 2 (or 3) batteries.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
yatasaki
Light Smoker

Post by yatasaki »

few days ago went to the gas station and back, stopped the engine on a button for a few minutes, and later on wouldn't start. found there's no sparks and kips motor went crazy like hunting left-right all the time.
after plugging other cdi started from first try.
rectifier gives 13.7v through all revs
this is already third cdi broken (first two were burnt by rectifier) but no signs of melting or burning :-k
any ideas