zeeltronic help! no spark!

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
maccas
Oil Injector

zeeltronic help! no spark!

Post by maccas »

Hi guys fitted my zeel this morning, flat curve of 15 degrees programmed in, strobe gun at the ready, 15 degrees marked off at flywheel btdc

Powered up, powervalve does cycle, all good i think,

Thought il just see if its got a spark, whip left plug out with ht lead still attached, kick it over, nothing!

Double check wiring, all correct!

Plug old cdi in, lovely bright blue spark

Changed polarity on pick up, still nothing, works fine either way on standard cdi

Plugged into laptop all programmed correctly as borut sent, 44.4 degrees static angle, 30us compensation, 2 pulses per rev, all fine for starting or should be

Go into monitor screen and if kick bike over the rpm goes up to about 400rpm then settles back down to 0 once engine stopped turning

Seems pick up working ok!

Anyone any ideas?

Really appreciate it, i'm sure its something simple!

Maccas
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Problem sorted!

Wiring diagram had a slight error in it, black/white wire was connected to brown/white on kr loom and it wasnt supposed to be connected to anything.

Black/white is optional kill switch wire so was earthing spark straight to ground.

Pulled black/white wire out and went first kick.

Just need to commision it now, but no time today :-(

Must say exhaust note has a definitive crack to it now as lozza has always said, idles much better too!

Maccas
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Good on ya for having a crack at it. Nothing to be frightened of is there :lol:

PM me and I'll suggest a few curves for you.
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

PM'ing you now lozza!

Cheers

Maccas
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

How you getting on there Maccas?
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi Lozza,

Haven't had time to do anything to the bike recently as the bike is at home and I am at Uni 200 miles away. I should get chance to do a bit over xmas holidays.

Last time I rode it I had uploaded your suggestion curve with the end of the curve the same as Borut's curve. Shown in my project thread.

From 8k to 10.5k (tacho) the bike pulls like a train but falls on its arse after that and stops dead.

I intend to gradually take out advance after 10k to see if it makes any difference, it should do as with the standard kr1 ignition it would rev on until 11250 (albeit not making anywhere near as much power as it is now).

So from only swapping the zeel in for the original cdi and losing 750revs I must have too much advance up top. (or so i figure).

I also need to play with jetting and currently I am running b10 plugs which are too cold, after a WOT blast and then pootering about off pipe for 30 seconds or so the plugs foul up and four stroke, it clears after one WOT pull but b9's would be better I think.

I have just ordered half a dozen plugs so providing the weather is good I will be able to do some 'proper' plug chops inspecting the mixture ring and closely monitoring the ground and centre electrodes for overheating and fuel ash climbing up the centre electrode. I think my motor isn't demanding b10's yet as its only in a mild state of tune. But plug chops will reveal all.

When I get chance I will get it on the dyno to set up the powervalve open and close points.

At the moment they are set to start opening at 7900 and fully opened at 8000, seems to feel good, might not be perfect but my arse dyno can't feel any big steps in power output. The zeel comes programmed with the powervalves opening at 7000, way too early, could feel a big jump in power at 8000 when they were set like that.

I think I am a bit rich on the mains but again plug chops will confirm this. I may come down a size or 2 on the mains, but if I lose the big fat midrange I currently have then I will add electronic powerjets to get it back and still have some overrev, best of both worlds.

I have learnt alot since I bought the zeel and I am learning more and more everyday. I also have just bought a dial gauge so I will double check that programmed advance corresponds to real advance, also will be good to see how much the 2 cylinders advance differs. If they do differ there isn't alot I can do about it as the zeel I have is only a basic one. Should have got a PDCI-20V but oh well.

I have just bought a 3xv and there is a PDCI-20V on the way for that so keep an eye on the tzr forum :D

Again thanks for your help Lozza,

Maccas (Dan)
Last edited by maccas on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

No problems Dan, that's one reason I like the air jets as you can add air and keep the fuel. The amount of advance you have at peak will make the most HP we just have to find out what the engine wants to regain the over rev.
Your probably not far off with the close point, if it's bad the dyno will show a dip and the better you get the less the dip.
You should see the J straps on the plugs blasted clean and it clear 7/8ths the way back. Are your using ES plugs? If yes throw them in the mower and get some iridiums.
Any chance of a video of it idling and some sharp raps on the throttle?
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Lozza,

I have one vid but the bike wasn't warmed up properly and I have since tweaked the carbs a bit, the plugs were a bit fouled up in the vid, you'll see what I mean.

I will invest in some iridium plugs once i've done some proper plug chops with the es's.

Thanks again,

Maccas
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Plus i was holding it just off idle :cry:

Maccas
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

It does seem a fraction sluggish off the bottom(the rpm does not rise in unison with the amount of throttle both in rate/amount).
But anyway certainly sounds OK after you coax it up. Onto them plug chops :D
crochet & croquet
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Wow! an invisible fuel tank :shock:
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

The vid was taken just before I swapped the slides from 4.5's to 6's so that made a big improvement off the bottom. Also pilot jet was too small at 40, now running a 48 and its much much better. Air screws need a slight tweak and I think my needle needs dropping a clip to smooth out the bottom end a touch.

Plus was running b10's there, will do some plug chops soon. I think 9's will be better.

AL,

I have a little auxillary tank above the carbs that holds about 100ml, I am running a yamaha WR250 fuel tap that only has one outlet, this outlet goes into the auxillary tank then there are two take-offs, one for each carb.

Maccas
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

That make it snappy off closed throttle?If it did it should be a mighty tough sounding bike.

You have the PCDI-10K?
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi Lozza,

Yep much snappier now and doesn't load up as much when stopped at traffic lights etc.

I have the PCDI-10V as the PCDI-10K doesn't use PC programming.

I wanted PC programming so that I could tweak the whole curve at once and upload complete files etc.

Once I've sorted my 3xv and I see the benefits of the PDCI-20V I will probably buy one for the KR and sell the 10V box on.

I will get a proper video of the KR at some point over xmas.

Maccas