Cleaning looms...

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Cleaning looms...

Post by Howie »

Other than getting someone else to do it, does anyone have any good ways of cleaning a loom?

I've been given a CB400/4 that is partially restored & asked to finish the job but i've never seen a loom this filthy. It looks almost like the loom has been covered in chain oil, then dipped in a well used rabbit hutch then dragged across Bridlington beach :shock:

I've been cleaning it using a range of brushes/cleaner soaked rags & a compressor but i'm getting nowhere fast.

I don't want to charge the owner a fortune in labour costs either.

But he does want to keep as much of the 'originality' of the bike too, so stripping & re-wrapping is not an option. And to be honest, other than the amount of crap on it & the odd DIY connector, the loom is in good condition.

Any ideas?

I was going to put it through the dish washer but Mrs Howie won't let me :twisted:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I thinck brake cleaner would be a good option. it evaporates fast enough not to interfere a lot with the glue off the tape on it.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Try aerosol carb cleaner and plenty of rags, its quick and effective but make sure you put something on the floor to catch all the crap!
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Howie I know this will sound a bit harsh but do you know anyone with a steam cleaner. A mate of mine has one and it's great for jobs like that. A soak in degreaser first then steam clean.
"Turned out nice again"
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Thanks chaps, some good ideas there.

I have a steam cleaner Pablo, so that may just be the one for me but i'll have to be careful not to melt the adhesive on its wrap 8-[

I'll let you know how I get on.
twostrokesmoker
Heavy Smoker

Post by twostrokesmoker »

Howie, why not do what I did & buy a roll of loom tape, mine was full of overspary & no matter how I tried to clean it it still looked shitty.

Go on wevel bay & search loom tape, took me a couple of hour's to do, its a bit fiddly but strangley theraputic :^o
Cheers
Phil.
dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

WIRING LOOM CLEANING

Post by dougindoors »

as sugested in posts, 1st used brake cleaner in spray form to desolve grease and oil, then wipe the loom down with swafega red box wipes. an expensive way but good results, they bring the covering up great and also the wires. also removes paint.
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
no projects, OOPS!1987 Kawasaki AR125B4
Every 2 in 1 poeple are schizophrenic
If you can not fix it with a hammer it must be electrical
2 Smokey and they bandit
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

took me a couple of hour's to do, its a bit fiddly
Every time I've tried to wrap a loom it ends up looking like a right mess :oops: I would love to know how they do it at the factory?

I'm pretty sure it involves geisha girls :twisted:

Anyway, so far I have tried brake/carb cleaner. Contact cleaner for all the bullets & their insulation. I have even tried window cleaner (which works quite well :shock: ).

And finally its starting to look ok....ish.

Now all I have to do is replace all the missing connectors.....oh joy!
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Cleaning looms...

Post by WightWizard »

Hi Howie,

I know it sounds a bit mad but put the loom in an old pillow case and seal it in with a couple of strong elastic bands then bung it in the washing machine.

Bung half a cup of Persil or whatever in as you normally would and wash on say 25 or 30 degrees.

The loom will come out looking like new.

Hang on washing line to drip and once stopped dripping bung it in the airing cupboard over night.

Works every time. Trade secret so don't tell anyone else. Oh no, I've already done it haven't I?....

But seriously if you're into restoring bikes it's one of the 'tricks' we use, that and the dishwasher for plastic tanks, radiators, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.

PS All the 'lumpy' crap stay's in the pillow case and all the gunky crap gets washed away. I've done this probably a dozen times this year and it's not made the slightest difference to washing the clothes afterwards.
If I hold it a millisecond longer I'll get it back, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground.....
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

I'm definately going to try that one Darren :D

Mrs Howie is at work all day tomorrow so she'll never find out, all I have to do is find a pillow case now, best look at the bottom of the drawer, wouldn't want to use her 'best' linen :lol:

I knew the one about the dishwasher, unfortunately so does Mrs Howie :(

I'll let you know how I get on
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hats off to you Darren,

Tried an old Kr1 loom first, that was much worse than the cb400.

Came up like new :shock:

It also took off the leccy tape that was on it (saves me the job :D ) but left the self amagamating stuff in place, brilliant.

Got to be tip of the year that one =D>
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Cleaning looms...

Post by WightWizard »

Howie I am happy to help, I am blushing with the gushing praise......

Well done for that bit, now onto the rest of the bike.....

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.
If I hold it a millisecond longer I'll get it back, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground.....
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

id be tempted to spray the outer part of the loom with a silicone based spray something like silkloene pro prep so any shit doesnt weld itself to the loom afterwards.
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
will77
Heavy Smoker

Re: Cleaning looms...

Post by will77 »

WightWizard wrote:Hi Howie,

I know it sounds a bit mad but put the loom in an old pillow case and seal it in with a couple of strong elastic bands then bung it in the washing machine.

Bung half a cup of Persil or whatever in as you normally would and wash on say 25 or 30 degrees.

The loom will come out looking like new.

Hang on washing line to drip and once stopped dripping bung it in the airing cupboard over night.

Works every time. Trade secret so don't tell anyone else. Oh no, I've already done it haven't I?....

But seriously if you're into restoring bikes it's one of the 'tricks' we use, that and the dishwasher for plastic tanks, radiators, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.

PS All the 'lumpy' crap stay's in the pillow case and all the gunky crap gets washed away. I've done this probably a dozen times this year and it's not made the slightest difference to washing the clothes afterwards.
Just done this last night and still keeping warm in the Airing cupboard, Hope it all works when i put back together.

what a result though, My loom looks Immaculate

thanks Darren
New to Forum, restoring a KR1...or should i say building from scratch
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Cleaning looms...

Post by WightWizard »

Hi Will,

You're welcome! Good luck with the build and please put photo's up of the build or the finished article.

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.