just got a kr1 i need some help please

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
bloysey

just got a kr1 i need some help please

Post by bloysey »

hi all,
the bike i got has been standing some years. ive cleaned it and freed up bits on it.
when i turn it on the the pv motor turns an 8th of a turn clockwise every time i turn it on untill it gets halfway, and turns a full half turn,
then starts the same cycle again. the pv cables and arm are disconnected at the mo as i didnt think it was right it turning an 8th of a turn every time the ignition is switched on.
also when it is running the right cylinder smokes alot more than the left. but i havent ridden it yet and only started it up.
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hi bloysey,

If I understand what you have written correctly, your power valve is doing its little cycle & its nowt to worry about, I would be more worried if it didn't.

But to be absolutely sure, make certain all your power valve cables are connected correctly & the power valves themselves are turning freely.

Depending on what you've done to the motor (if anything?) One cylinder smoking more than the other may be something as simple as the fact you haven't 'run' the engine, mine smoke until warmed up & then nothing. There are other possibilities but without trying to scare you, I would take it for a run before fearing the worst.

Hope this help fella,
bloysey

Post by bloysey »

thanks for that i will run it first. the pv motor only turns clockwise and doesnot return anticlockwise and when connected it just keeps turning clockwise untill the linkages bind up and it cant turn clockwise no more
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

bloysey wrote:thanks for that i will run it first. the pv motor only turns clockwise and doesnot return anticlockwise and when connected it just keeps turning clockwise untill the linkages bind up and it cant turn clockwise no more
In that case you may have to go through the re-set proceedure for the PV motor.
scooble wrote:diconnect the KIPS plug and connect one of the ends of the triangular plug to the positive terminal. It should make the motor spin one way, reverse the connections makes it spin the other. I had the same problem in the past. Doing this seemed to reset things.
Found this from scooble in another similar topic. Hopfully this sorts the issue for you.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
bloysey

Post by bloysey »

hi, i did try that thanks and it turns both ways fine with a very smooth rotation. would it be a faulty cdi unit? as i noticed the bike revvs freely but the rev counter stopps at around 5000-6000 rpm, and the cdi is connected to the pv motor.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

bloysey wrote:hi, i did try that thanks and it turns both ways fine with a very smooth rotation. would it be a faulty cdi unit? as i noticed the bike revvs freely but the rev counter stops at around 5000-6000 rpm, and the cdi is connected to the pv motor.
Sounds like the rec/reg may have gone at some stage letting the voltage rise up to (and even over) 18v, which can take out your tacho followed by the cdi and pv motor etc. Next time you run it make sure you check the charge voltage dosn't go far north of 15v, and if it does change the rec/reg asap.

The tacho issue is due to a bad earth. Clean all your connectors and terminals, and if that dont get the tacho working, add a new earth wire between the chassis and the engine block.
KR1 Red/White
bloysey

Post by bloysey »

i checked the voltage at the reg and it was 14v at tickover and when revved it droped to 12v. so a new reg is in order. does anyone know anywhere to get a new one?
thanks for your help.
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

I have a couple of rectifier/regulaters for sale :)
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2
bloysey

Post by bloysey »

WOULD A NEW REG SORT OUT THE ISSUES WITH THE PV MOTOR AND SPEEDO?
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

bloysey wrote:i checked the voltage at the reg and it was 14v at tickover and when revved it droped to 12v. so a new reg is in order. does anyone know anywhere to get a new one?
thanks for your help.
Voltage dropping with revs does NOT indicate a bad reg.
To solve this issue you need to clean ALL your earth points, and possibilly add an extra earth cable between the engine and the frame. Once youve done that check your voltage again.
KR1 Red/White
bloysey

Post by bloysey »

put the reg on and the voltage is fine, and it gets warm (the old one never) i put an earth wire from the engine to the frame and cleaned all the earth points but the power valve motor still only turns a small bit at a time, im thinking its the cdi as it sends the signal to the power valve motor.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

bloysey wrote:put the reg on and the voltage is fine, and it gets warm (the old one never) i put an earth wire from the engine to the frame and cleaned all the earth points but the power valve motor still only turns a small bit at a time, im thinking its the cdi as it sends the signal to the power valve motor.
Just to clarify, since cleaning all earth points and adding the extra one between the frame and engine, has the tacho started working properly and the voltage drop issue gone?
The remaining issue with the PV motor is quite possibly the CDI (as you said), damaged when a previous rec/reg has failed (seems to be the only thing that kills them). If you can find someone nearby that will let you borrow thesr CDI for testing purposes you can confirm this for certain before forking out for the cost of a replacement.
KR1 Red/White
bloysey

Post by bloysey »

checked all the wiring and is ok. im going to sort out a cdi for it. ive had it painted now in kawasaki racing green of the late 80's (its very bright) with a ceralic pearl that only shines up in the sun. hopefully be on the road soon.
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Hi,

I have a KR1S CDI for sale if you are interested.

Cheers

Andrew
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

i sent him one andrew, [out of my own personal stock which was fully
working]