Electrical gremlins

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
93KR1S
lurker

Electrical gremlins

Post by 93KR1S »

First of all i would like to say Hi to everyone on the forum, I am a newbe and as such i hope you will all excuse any "stupid" questions.

My KR1S starts fine, idles fine, and runs very well. However when i have the bike in neutral and rev the engine the idiot lights dim. At the same time the temperature gauge stops working. When i allow the bike to return to idle the idiot lights return to normal and the temperature gauge starts to work again. Very occasionally the idiot lights will dimm so much that they stop working completely. I have checked all conections from the clocks and these look good.

The battery seems to be charging OK, so any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Welcome to the forums.

This sounds like it could be the start of the "stator gremlin"

Have you put a multi meter across battery terminals and checked the reading you get at idle and when you rev the engine?
93KR1S
lurker

Post by 93KR1S »

The previous owner replaced the stator not long before i aquired the bike. He gave me the puller needed to carry out the job and the old stator as proof. However that dose not mean that it was done correctly! I will check the voltage across the battery this evening.

Thanks for the response.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Whilst you're doing that, check the earth connections and make sure there's nothing lose.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

stator only gives ignition problems, never heard of charging problems due to the stator.

it's the rectifier you need to look at, and stop running the engine until you are sure the rectifier is 100% ok. if not, you'll burn your CDI, temp gauge, rev counter, bulbs, ....
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Luders wrote:Whilst you're doing that, check the earth connections and make sure there's nothing lose.
This is where your issues are all coming from.
Check and clean ALL your earth connections. You may even need to add an earth wire between the engine and the frame to rectify this problem completely.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

Mine used to do exactly the same; dimming lights and temp gauge fluctuations as the revs rise and fall. As Scott says, its probably the earth connections. I ran an additional earth wire from the engine to the existing point on the frame and it solved all of the issues.
93KR1S
lurker

Post by 93KR1S »

Thanks for the advice.

I have noticed that if i turn the lights on and rev the bike, the lights do not dim and neither does the high beam idiot light , neither for that matter does the indicator idiot light, but the oil light and the neutral light still dim and the temp gauge stop working.

I checked the voltage at the battery when the engine was not running and metered 13.5 Volts and metered 13.8 Volts at 4000 RPM with the engine running.Rightly or wrongly i assumed that this meant that stator and reg/rec is OK?

I have checked and cleaned the standard earth points with no change to the issue.I will add another earth from the engine to the frame and see if this has any effect.

Thanks again
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hi 93KR1S, do you still have your side stand switch connected?

The only reason I ask is because the common factor in your problem is the oil/neutral light & temp gauge all lead to the diode.

The temp gauge indirectly via the black yellow wire.

If the side stand switch is still connected, unplug it & see what happens, if you can't even start the bike then try connecting the white/blue wire to the black yellow wire with a bit of wire (hotwire it basically) & see how you get on.
93KR1S
lurker

Post by 93KR1S »

Problem solved!

Gotta love those Aussie boys. They were spot on. I ran a new earth from the engine to the earthing point at the headstock and all issues have been resolved.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. A brilliant example of how a forum can resolve issues.