Rev counter not working, replaced regulator and cdi.

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
tg100
Light Smoker

Rev counter not working, replaced regulator and cdi.

Post by tg100 »

Hi again guys,

I had a regultor blow on me, and it also fried the cdi unit which also blew all bulbs except for headlight one.All pats have now been replaced.

when switching on ignition kips goes through its procedure, start engine but no rev counter. rev engine voltage on battery does not go above 13.3 volts i think is good.

could rev counter its self be faulty, or should i be looking at something else first.
cheers
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

The knackered regulator could have damaged your rev counter as well.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Sadly, the tacho is pretty much the first thing to go once the reg goes (usually a bit before the CDI goes on strike). Get yourself a replacement and you should back be in business.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
tg100
Light Smoker

Rev counter compatability for kr1s

Post by tg100 »

Hi, do you know if any other rev counter is compatable from another kawasaki model? Or could you recommend anywhere to purchase one.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

If no one has one here, I would go on eBay and get a set of clocks from someone breaking.

There are often tachos and clocks for the KR-1 and S advertised there.
twostrokesmoker
Heavy Smoker

Post by twostrokesmoker »

Mmm just a thought on this one guys & gals, would it be possible to put something like a in line fuse or resistor type thingy in the taco circuit, to stop the taco being taken out when the resistor blows :-k I know the fuse box covers the main circuits but my point is would it be possible to add a secondary "fail safe" within the loom :?
Sorry not very teccy with leccy but I know there are some clever dickies on here that are.
Phil.
ps same for the CDI unit :-k :idea:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

a fuse won't help. fuses blow when too much current is flowing trough them. here the problem is too high voltage :wink:

only thing that would help is to put in another sort off regulator that block's off high voltages.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

JanBros wrote: only thing that would help is to put in another sort off regulator that block's off high voltages.
or install a volt gauge....
twostrokesmoker
Heavy Smoker

Post by twostrokesmoker »

As I said im no teccy & I dont know my ohms law etc just thought it may kick somebodys brain into "super spark mode" !!
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Charles wrote:
JanBros wrote: only thing that would help is to put in another sort off regulator that block's off high voltages.
might be helpfull on the raods, but if the reg pops on a trackday (or having fun on twisty roads) trashing your bike , you don't have time to check your volt gauge constantly, and on high rev's , it only takes a couple off seconds to blow everything else

:?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

JanBros wrote:
Charles wrote:
might be helpfull on the raods, but if the reg pops on a trackday (or having fun on twisty roads) trashing your bike , you don't have time to check your volt gauge constantly, and on high rev's , it only takes a couple off seconds to blow everything else

:?
The best option would be to create a circut that would turn on a super bright LED or such (like a shift light) when the voltage goes over your set limit. You could possibly even incorporate a secondary voltage reg with a slightly higher limit than stock. Just dont ask me to design said circut cause I aint got the skills. :roll:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Professor
Heavy Smoker

warning

Post by Professor »

I've just had a regultor go whilst on a trackday and I've now bought a voltage monitor LED to fit. will hopefully give me some warning if the regulator goes again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

He also has different models

I wonder if a different reg/rec would just go open circuit when it failed instead of short circuiting and over voltage. maybe electrex or yamaha

I might remember from the old forum some mention of moving the reg/rec to a cooler more ventilated plosition?
Hardcore you know the score