Regulator Problems i think.

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
tg100
Light Smoker

Regulator Problems i think.

Post by tg100 »

Hi, mot was booked in today for kr1s,charged battery last night installed battery ready for mot today.Then my problems started no oil or neutral light on by clocks, kips did not go through its start up procedure and no idicators and no back grake light. but horn and main headlight worked ?.

started bike up on idle battery reads 14.4 volts when i reved engine it went up to 18 volts i turned of igntion sharpish. reading previous posts it sounds like the regulator to me. This is my 1st project and may sound silly is there anyway to test the regulator. As i have seen one on ebay and make the purchase and hope thats not faulty. mot booked for 12 today gutted.
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

There is a test procedure in the manual but it sounds like a regulator to me. Well done for turning her off sharpish!
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Your reg is definately shot. The fact that the KIPS didn't go through the start up procedure makes me wonder if there may already some damage done to the CDI, although the tacho usually goes out before the CDI starts to die. Once youve replaced your reg and all the blown globes try doing the KIPS reset procedure described in the manual.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
tg100
Light Smoker

Post by tg100 »

Hi all again, also the temp gauge is not working could it have damaged a sensor or anything else.
checked the 3 main fuses and they are all ok, i cant make out why it would of not blown any of them. ](*,)
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Mine went and blew everything you've said bar the cdi box.start by changing the kips motor and if that moves,then the rest.If not try another cdi before you splash out on anything other than a kips motor.
My two peneth,if that helps.
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
tg100
Light Smoker

Post by tg100 »

Just taken reregulator apart and there is a main fuse wire which has bernt out at both ends, after taking out all the installation liquid they poor in at factory.
just brought one off ebay for £10 which i thought was quite good.shall let you know when it arrives and how i get on.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

tg100 wrote: checked the 3 main fuses and they are all ok, i cant make out why it would of not blown any of them. ](*,)
because fuses only blow when they are short-circuited, not when there goes more voltage through them than the bike is designed to handle. in other words :high currents make fuses blow, not high voltages :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

If it is the KIPS motor, they are easy to fix.

That is the motor itself not the cable casting bit obviously as it is just a small 12v motor, found on pretty much most AWD trucks with electronic transfer cases. (Nissans etc) so getting them rebuild with new brushes (it is usually the brush housing that melts) is pretty simple.
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

tg100 wrote:Just taken reregulator apart and there is a main fuse wire which has bernt out at both ends, after taking out all the installation liquid they poor in at factory.
just brought one off ebay for £10 which i thought was quite good.shall let you know when it arrives and how i get on.
Dont put that on,thats my tip.Buy a new one from electrix or where ever.For the sake of saving a few bob,id go with a new one,dont want to be opening another can of worms a few mile further down the road.
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

tg100 wrote:Just taken reregulator apart and there is a main fuse wire which has bernt out at both ends, after taking out all the installation liquid they poor in at factory.
Oh yeah,and mine blew the wire off the main fuse housing,so it sounds the exact same problem.