KIPS problem

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

KIPS problem

Post by JanBros »

I was cleaning up my attick couple off weeks ago and found out I have lot's off engines taken appart (more than I thought I had). So thought I'd put some together just to find out what's good and what's not (like crancks and stuff like that, just to see if bearrings/seals are ok)

So today I finished setting up a rolling frame with everything needed to run an engine, and the first one is fine :D (allthough cylindres and pistons clearly have too much miles on them :( )

just one problem : the KIPS works when switching on the ignition switch, but it doesn't work when revving the bike. it's not the CDI, 'cause I tried 3 off which I know they( should) work .

anybody ever had this ? thought I might ask before I start looking for the problem - basicly I'm a lazy guy :oops:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Just a thought Jan does the rev counter give the signal to the ecu & have you got one fitted?
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

no rev counter.

but it's not the rev counter that keeps the CDI informed. signal that goes to the rev counter is the same one that goes to the coil :wink:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

today, I had the same problem with my new rebuild engine. So problem laid outside the engine.

after swapping stator/coil/CDI, problem still excisted. So I fitted a rev-counter to see ecxactly how high the engine revved, and wouldn't go above 8.000. But I also noticed the rev counter kept indicating about 3-4000 rpm's when it was clearly only running about 12-1500 rpm.

So I changed the loom (only part not swapped), and problem was cured :D

Kind of strange problem, since the engine appears to run perfectly up until +/- 8.000. When I have the time (probably something for the next decade :mrgreen:), I'll strip it completly and have a look to see if I can find something :-k
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

im interest in a crank a good one if you got one going for sale, just when my current project is finished i have an engine that needs one, going to rebuild for a spare tuck it away for a rainy day cheers wayne.
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY